Power steering ram boot replacement

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

thegammas

Power steering ram boot replacement

Postby thegammas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:14 pm

2001, 3.5LE, 180K

I was investigating a 'clunking' noise from the front end passenger side when turning the wheels left or right. Found that the bracket that holds the break line and anti-lock sensor wire was bent somehow away from the unibody and interfering with one of the suspension components . Removed, straightened it out, replaced, problem solved.

BUT - while I was under there I noted heavy oil on the sub frame and traced it to a split boot on the power steering ram on the passenger side. I may not be naming it correctly but you get the idea.

So the question; any idea where I can get a split boot to replace it with? Or, can I just drop the tie rod end, slide the boot off, slide a new one on?

Thanks in advance!
Pete - wilm del

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:51 pm

It's called a power steering bellows, and I've never seen a split-boot for them. To replace it, you would need to separate the outer tie rod from the knuckle and remove the outer tie rod and locknut from the inner tie rod (count the threads on the inner tie rod to help you reinstall the outer tie rod in roughly the same place). Undo or cut the clamp off of the bellows, and, if it has one, remove the vent line from the bellows, then slide the bellows off of the inner tie rod. Reverse to install and have a wheel alignment performed. If there is a lot of power steering fluid leaking out of the rack and pinion and into the bellows, then the rack and pinion should be replaced, rather than replace the bellows.

thegammas

Postby thegammas » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks for the feed back. There was enough fluid in the bellows (that subsequently leaked out when it split ) to make a spot on the driveway about 6 inches across.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:25 pm

It sounds like you have a leaking rack & pinion seal.

thegammas

Postby thegammas » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Agreed. Re-buildable in my garage, or just go for a rebuilt unit?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 pm

I use reman units. Not too many people rebuild them themselves anymore and usually don't have the tools to do it. Last time I rebuilt one was at least 25 years ago!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”