Need to trace a wiring harness

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

parallon

Need to trace a wiring harness

Postby parallon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Hello all. I have a 2003 Pathfinder SE 4x4. I know this is going to sound strange, but I have oil leaking out of one of my wiring looms. I know, not possible. But, what I believe is happening is that I have a leak somewhere in my engine, but somehow dripping into my loom, running to the lowest point and dripping elsewhere.

So, the location of the dripping is right under the passenger seat, but on the exterior. There is a bundle of 4-5 connectors protected by a heat shield under the vehicle's passenger side front. This bundle runs through the floorboard and then under the carpet under the front passenger seat. The floorboard is completely dry under the carpet. When I removed the heat shield, everything around these connectors is dry, but where the wires come out of the loom is soaked and is dripping a couple of drops of oil an hour. I have even stuck my fingers into the holes of the frame, and they are dry.

So, basically, I am just wondering if anyone happens to know what that bundle leads to on the engine side. I have looked under the hood, but cannot see anything wet.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

Mike

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:15 pm

On the passenger side there are several wires that run to the transmission and transfer case. Neutral safety switch if you have an automatic, 4x4 switch for instrument panel light, reverse switch for backup lights. Are you sure you're not seeing tranny fluid? Under the carpet would only be seat heaters.

parallon

Postby parallon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:40 am

Hooligan,

Hey there. Thank you for your response. I actually do believe it is tranny fluid. I got some insight from a friend that it might actually be something called a Transmission Turbine Revolution Sensor. Looks like that part sits on the top side of the transmission, unfortunately. I guess it is wired into that bundle under the passenger side of the vehicle.

Thanks again,

Mike

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”