Coolant Leak

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Deanster

Coolant Leak

Postby Deanster » Thu May 14, 2015 1:40 pm

SO we have the 2002 Pathfinder LE and its has a coolant leak. It doesnt seem head related since the oils not milky, it only starts to get warm when the coolant level is low, theirs no thicker smoke coming from the exhaust and its not throwing any check engine light. I read a post else where that someone had a similar issue where the coolant looked to be coming from the back of the engine somplace like ours looks to be and he had a nissan dealer check it out and said it was a leak in the crossover pipe for the heads inbetween the engine and firewall and its a common coolant leak and is a 1500 dollar repair while others im reading said it only cost them 500-750 even with them pulling the tranny. Is the crossover tube that common of a problem as it seems to be and does the 500-750 or 1500 sound more realistic for the job?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 am

It's a fairly common problem; the leaks often occur at one of the gaskets between the pipe and the head. It's a huge pain to R&R the pipe and replace the gaskets, but even so, $1500 sounds a bit high. I would get a few estimates from reputable shops.

Deanster

Postby Deanster » Fri May 15, 2015 8:26 pm

Thats what i was thinking just making sure. The car is scheduled to get the air bag recall done tomorrow at the dealer so ill ask what they would charge to get it done along with some shops. We poured in a bottle of the Bars Leak Coolant System Repair into it yesterday morning and after driving it around all day yesterday and today we have not seen any coolant leak under it like we have been recently but ill look into the price to get it done correctly.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”