New guy here

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Nissanfam

New guy here

Postby Nissanfam » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:04 am

Hey all, new guy here but not new to Nissan .I own a maxima,altima,versa and now searching for a late model pathfinder

I found a 2002 pathfinder fully loaded with 102k miles asking $4,200. is there anything I should be aware of or look for wgne checking the car out? I called Nissan and asked about timing belt being replaced and they stated every 60k . I was at a lost . what do you guys recommended

Nissanfam

Postby Nissanfam » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Anyone ??

mbrianc

Postby mbrianc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:57 pm

No timing belt. It has chains. Pretty solid setup from what I have heard on the 02. Though I have read about wear issues on the polyurethane bushings in the guides on some of the other year models.

Timing chains are generally designed to last the life of the engine. 60k sounds wrong to me.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Sounds like the person at your Nissan dealer doesn't know what he's talking about! As mentioned, it has three timing chains and there is no service interval for replacement. As far as things to look out for...
Look for rot and rust at the bottom of the front strut towers. There is a recall for this issue, so make sure it's been done.
Worn bushings in the rear suspension upper and/or lower links are common and make the vehicle sway all over the road when they are bad. The links aren't difficult to replace, but it's not uncommon to have the bolts seize to the metal sleeve in the center of the bushing, requiring them to be cut out.
There have been some that have had the screws fall out of the swirl valves inside the intake and fall unto the top of the valve, or worse, into the combustion chamber. This was due to not enough thread locker put on the bolt threads during assembly. I've heard it occur on more '01 models than '02 and later, but be mindful of it.
Check engine light issues were a bit more common on these VQ35DE engines than were on the previous VG33E engines. It's not uncommon to see a check engine light come on for a bad oxygen sensor or for the intake valve timing control system. Ignition coil pack failure is also not uncommon.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”