1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

pwkingston

1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Postby pwkingston » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:40 am

I'm looking to buy a Pathfinder off of craigslist, he claims it runs well, but won't pass county emissions. He is getting the following codes.

P0505 Nissan - Idle Air Control Valve
P0325 Nissan - Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1441 Nissan - Evaporative Emission Control System Very Small Leak
P0335 Nissan - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit

from looking around here it seems like if I replaced the o2 sensors, re-learned the idle air volume setting and relocated the knock sensor, it might be ok. Does that sound about right? Any advice?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:24 am

pwkingston wrote:I'm looking to buy a Pathfinder off of craigslist, he claims it runs well, but won't pass county emissions. He is getting the following codes.

P0505 Nissan - Idle Air Control Valve
P0325 Nissan - Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1441 Nissan - Evaporative Emission Control System Very Small Leak
P0335 Nissan - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit

from looking around here it seems like if I replaced the o2 sensors, re-learned the idle air volume setting and relocated the knock sensor, it might be ok. Does that sound about right? Any advice?
I don't see anything that suggests that it needs oxygen sensors. The crank position sensor can cause the knock sensor code to trigger, so I wouldn't be concerned about doing anything with the knock sensor, at this point. You may need a new crank position sensor or distributor. The idle air control valve could be faulty or sticking due to internal carbon build-up. As far as the evap code, it could be a small leak anywhere in the system. Often, a stuck open vent control valve at the back of the charcoal canister is the culprit, but on the early R50's, sometimes the foam liner would fail inside the canister and cause tiny bits of charcoal to get sucked into the system. I would start by removing the charcoal canister, unbolt the vent control valve from it, and shake the canister over paper to see if bits of charcoal fall out of it. It it does, then you'll need a new canister and will have to clean out all of the charcoal; there is a TSB on the proper way to do this and it's a bit of a pain. If the canister is ok, then I would component check the vent control valve to see if it sticks. I would highly suggest you download a copy of the factory service manual and refer to the "EC" section to properly diagnose the codes, rather than just dump money into parts you may or may not need.

pwkingston

Postby pwkingston » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:58 am

Thanks for the help! I was able to get it for 800 dollars, the interior and body are really nice, so I feel pretty comfortable spending a little bit getting it going mechanically. I'll download a copy of the factory service manual and get to work.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”