Bottoming out in the rear, and LSV replacement

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

ViperGTS19801

Bottoming out in the rear, and LSV replacement

Postby ViperGTS19801 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Hey all,

I have a 1999 Pathfinder with 4WD. About a year and a half ago, my friend advised me I would need to replace my rear suspension. For the last year, I have been experiencing very bad suspension performance in the rear. I bottom out on the smallest of bumps, and speed bumps are terrifying. The shocks are not leaking (although they are obviously quite old), and the rear does not bounce excessivley, it just smashes down very easily while riding. I also noticed the frame likes to wiggle if I hit a bump while going around a turn, most evidently on off-ramps. Is it just the shocks, do you think? I am in between jobs right now and am very good with my hands, so I will do the work myself.

Also, it appears that my rear suspension's load sensing proportioning valve is leaking fluid, and I have to keep filling up my brake fluid reservoir. Aside from one singular website which wants about $260 for the part, I can't find this part anywhere! Does anyone here have any idea where I can get it?

Thanks!

Viper

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:43 pm

From what I read, your rear shocks are still good, but your rear coils are down for the count. Coils collapsed with time which reduces the suspension travel. This is what you are experiencing . I know moog makes aftermarket coils for the pathfinder. Of course you can go nissan too.

Sorry I can`t help much for the proportioning valve.

Cheers.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:28 am

It's hard to tell if the springs are the problem or not based on the information. The only way to tell is to check for signs of damage, such as a crack in the spring or broken spring, and to check the ride height of the vehicle. If the spring isn't broken and the ride height is correct, the springs should be fine. Something I would check is the condition of the bushings in the rear suspension links, which are known for failing in the R50's and will cause the rear end to wander and/or cause the vehicle to handle poorly. If the bushings are really bad, I would see where it would seem like the rear end is bottoming out. The bushings can be a real pain to replace; IMO, it's much easier to replace the link assemblies. I usually get Dorman units from Rockauto.com, which have a lifetime warranty. If you have to replace the links, you may want to purchase new bolts for them, as they often seize to the bushing sleeve, necessitating cutting the bolts. Finally, the "bounce test" doesn't always tell if a shock absorber is bad or not. If you have significant mileage on them, it's probably a good time to replace them. I would recommend a good, monotube shock, like Bilstein HD's or KYB Gas-a-justs.
As far as the Load Sensing Valve, they are a dealer part. $250 +/- is the typical online price and they go for well over $300 from your local dealer's parts dept. The only other option is to try and find a good, used valve in the salvage yard. If it were mine, I would bite the bullet and get a new one. One note: proper adjustment of the valve is critical! Refer to the service manual for your vehicle.

ViperGTS19801

Postby ViperGTS19801 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:08 am

I still have the shocks from Pep Boys - I went with the Monroe struts recommended from RockAuto for original ride quality. Because the originals look pretty old, I think I will keep the new ones and replace them at the same time I redo the suspension. Once I am working again, I will make a weekend project out of it and replace the whole suspension. Thanks for the tips!

I will check around local U-Pull-It's for replacement LSVs. I won't pay that much for a part unless I really have to, and I have had excellent luck with the local salvage yards. Besides, there's three different light trucks that all use the same valve when in a 4WD configuration, so it's worth having a look.

Hawairish

Postby Hawairish » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Your shocks are worn. They are meant to control suspension movement, not load; if you're bottoming out, the shocks aren't doing their job. May also want to see how your bump stops are holding up; chances are that the lower 'bump' on them has torn off.

Excessive wiggle from the rear is usually a sign of bad control arm bushings, as smj999smj mentioned. If you're looking to save a little more money, and you have the means to handle a rather PITA job, you can just buy bushings...but it's a lot of extra work. I bought the "PSB 594" cheap polyurethanes, and they've done well. The Dorman complete arms are a far simpler solution, but use rubber bushings that will eventually have the same fate. Don't forget to order new bolts/nuts for all 4 arms...high probability you will destroy them, but they should not be re-used per Nissan.

As for the LSV, perhaps consider repairing it, or at least confirming where the leak is coming from and seeing if something needs tightening. Might be rebuildable with just a common o-ring. Deleting it is also an option...they were never on later Pathfinders, AFAIK (my 04 doesn't have one). The LSV should also be the same as any pre-05 Xterra, Frontier, and presumably Hardbody or older Pathfinder.

May the force be with you.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”