New pathy owner !

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jonthemoon

New pathy owner !

Postby jonthemoon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:25 am

Hi,

So I bought my first Nissan (My dad had a couple...) as of a 2002 4WD Pathfinder LE with 197k km. I think it is in ok shape and seem to have been well maintained. There is a couple of rust spot (having lived in Quebec weather...) that I'll try to stop.

First, I want to make sure everything is in order and ready to tow our trailer (around 3500#) next spring. I'm thinking of doing an oil change, it probably runs on non-synthetic so my first question is should I just stay with non-synthetic and is there a good oil / filter recommendation ?

Also, any normal stuff that I should look at ? Plugs, air filter, fuel filter etc. Anything that I should just change as preventive maintenance (I prefer spending 10$ now than getting stuck in the middle of nowhere...!)

I ordered an airlift 1000 kit too. Don't know if it's overkill but figured that I would see if it helps and can help keep the springs alive for longer.

Here's a pic. http://pasteboard.co/50KeGwdRN.png

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:38 pm

There was a recall for corrosion issues on the front strut towers, so check with Nissan and make sure there are no open recalls or campaigns, first. Plugs are due at 105,000 miles; stick with genuine Nissan or NGK laser platinum plugs, which are the OE parts. Check the air filter condition and replace it, if necessary. I usually replace fuel filters every 30,000 miles; it'll be above the rear axle. Inspect your drive belts. Also, check for cracks or splits in the rear suspension link bushings...uppers and lowers. As far as oil, it's really your choice. Conventional oil will work just fine. Personally, I use synthetic. I stick with genuine Nissan oil filters, but most, quality oil filters will work just fine. I use Purolator Pure One in a pinch. Some like K&N oil filters. Nissan oil filters really aren't that expensive. Pan plug crush washer is 11026-01M02; I buy them in bulk on Ebay. I'll use synthetic 75W90 gear oil in the diffs and Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the auto trans and P/S system.

jonthemoon

Postby jonthemoon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 am

THanks !

I know that one strut tower was changed by the previous owner. I've already ordered the NKG plugs and oil/air/cabin/fuel filter.

I got a Denso oil filter, hope it's ok.

I was wondering about Diff oils if I should change them preventively or non. I have the same question for the coolant... I just want to keep it in good working order and prevent some upcoming problems, not create them ;-)

Thanks again !

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:09 pm

It definitely won't hurt if you do. Your vehicle came from the factory with Nissan green long-life coolant, with a first service interval of 90000 miles and subsequent intervals of 60000 miles after that. Nissan green anti-freeze is the same as Pentosin Pentafrost A2 green antifreeze, which you can purchase from Rockauto.com or you can find it on Ebay. You can also find the Nissan green antifreeze on Ebay or at your local Nissan dealer. That's "my" preference, but, most of your "one color works in all" antifreezes like Prestone or Walmart's SuperTech brand will work just fine. If you choose a concentrated anti-freeze (as opposed to pre-mix), mix with distilled water, 50/50. You can get that at Walmart for a buck or any drug store.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”