2001 Pathfinder 3.5 LE - P0420 (stored code) after power los

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jvaruzzo

2001 Pathfinder 3.5 LE - P0420 (stored code) after power los

Postby jvaruzzo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 pm

I posted this on another forum, with some mixed thoughts.

I then found this forum specifically for pathfinders and thought maybe I could get some other opinions.. so I'm a noob to the forum, and greatly apprecaite and thank everyone who can help me.

In short, I have had no troubles with my 01 LE (85,000 miles). However, the other day in a snow storm I suffered momentary power loss (maybe 10 seconds), the SES light was blinking during the loss, I was just pulling over when power came back, the light went off and everything was perfectly normal for the next few days.

I have a scanner that showed a stored P0420 - Cataylst level below threshold. I cleared the code, no problems since.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Justin

Avbird

Code P0420

Postby Avbird » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:19 pm

I also have this code on a 2001 LE with 110k. I have reset the codes multiple time to have it come back again. I did get rid of it for about 2 weeks when the code first appeared along with a bank lean code. This was my front O2 sensors and the codes all cleared when I replaced them.

My pathy runs fine, consistent idle. Power remains OK and gas milage may have suffered a little. My question is...I am not in an exhaust check area so what could go wrong if my cat converter is bad and I don't do anything about it?

I read somewhere that the pathy's have a problem with high elevation and this code. I live at 8,600 ft above sea level. Crazy thought but any thoughts on lower octane gas? The other item on the list are a large vacuum leak so maybe the mix is too rich at elevation with thin air? Colorado already waters the gas down to 89 octane for premium, but maybe its still to fat.

Avbird

P0420

Postby Avbird » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16 pm

I now have the code cleared and the engine appears to be running a little smoother with a possible improvement in gas mileage. I found two technical service bullitens on this subject. I believe that one is from Jan 06 or maybe 04. It calls for a reprogram of the ECU or EMU. The estimated hours listed at .7 hours. There is also a bulliten for high elevation and it calls for a reprogram also. I got both reprograms done for $110 and three weeks later no codes!

Good luck

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”