shift on fly 4x4 not disengaging easily

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Northeaster

shift on fly 4x4 not disengaging easily

Postby Northeaster » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey Folks,

My 2000 pathfinder SE has always worked well. The shift on the fly would allow me to put it in 4x4 while going up to about 60mph or more, and would come out easily as well. Usually, when going back to 2 wheel drive, it would take a few seconds to disengage, and would go quicker if I hit the gas a bit, and then coasted / let off for a couple of seconds.

A couple of months ago, I had to pull my brother's Chevy Avalanche out of the mud. He was really buried, hung up on the body a bit, so I had to give it a couple of good jerks on the tow rope, to get him moving. Since then, I have noticed that it will not go back into 2 wheel drive easily while driving. I usually have to pull over, try park or neutral, and sometimes turn the engine off and back on, before the 4x4 light will go out, and it will disengage. It is not just the light either, as I can tell by the ride, when it stays in 4x4.

Any thoughts?

mderick

Postby mderick » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:58 am

I have the same issue with my y2k not coming out of 4x4 easily.
I too have to allow the engine to slow the vehicle down while driving some times to get it to release. I notice that it is worse in cold weather as well.
I would love to hear what others have experienced with this

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 am

Just a question like that: when did you change your transfer case oil ?? if the answer is <never>, I would try that first.... dirty old fluid can cause problems . It's cheap and takes about an hour to do.

warriorgirl

Postby warriorgirl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 pm

mine did that too except I had to stop the vehicle, shift back to 2wd and roll back in reverse a bit to get it out of 4x4. After I had the transfer case seal & fluid replaced it went away. It was low on fluid because about a quart had seeped out!

Northeaster

Postby Northeaster » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Sorry to bump an old post, but I am still having the same trouble - doesn't usually come out of 4high, until I stop and usually have to put it in reverse for a second.

I changed the transfer case fluid a couple of weeks ago, and it did not make a difference.

Drive often on roads which can be snow covered, then clear, back and forth, so it would be nice to be able to shift on the fly again!

Anyone know where to look next?

newpath

Postby newpath » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

I didn't think you were "supposed to" use the four wheel drive above 50mph. I don't know why not... that's just what the little sticker on my sun shade says. I have a 2002, so we could have different stipulations for all i know. So maybe driving above that caused some damage to it? I really don't know. My buddy has a blazer (not the same I know) and he has a similar problem with four wheel drive not engaging or disengaging very well. He has the push buttons. But he didn't know for the longest time he could switch going down the road. So he was constantly pulling over and putting it into neutral to switch. I would just take it to a dealer. :/ sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Northeaster

Postby Northeaster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, and info. To be honest, I would not normally use 4x4 above 50mph, or so. But often, in highway driving up here, you may have bad, snowy spots, where it is really nice to put it in 4x4, and then the pavement clears a few miles later, and you want to go back up to 70mph, or so. Normally, I could shift back to 2 high on-the fly, at about 50- 60mph or less, and then keep increasing speed in 2high. Now, I can't do that - have to pull over, and shift into neutral, and usually reverse for just a spit second, before it will go back to 2high. Or, just accelerate to 60 -70 mph in 4high and keep trucking!

Did try changing the transfer case fluid, and it did not help!

newpath

Postby newpath » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 pm

I totally agree with you. And after taking a second look at the sticker, it just said not to engage it over 50. So I take it as it can be used at any speeds, but you just have to be below 50 to engage it. And that makes perfect sense to me. Many other vehicles don't have the luxury of being able to go that fast and engage it.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”