Advice needed

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

bootleg23

Advice needed

Postby bootleg23 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Hey

I am looking to buy a 2001-2004 pathfinder, i just wanted to ask some experts what i should look out for. The truck will be used as a daily driver and it will tow about 2700 pounds once in a while. I am looking at a truck with the 3.5L engine.

Some of my Q's

Any weaknesses in these trucks?
what years should I avoid?
Should i get Auto or Manual tranny?
what trim should i get, I dont necessary care for leather but like the 6 spoke wheels.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Simon

HitMan

Postby HitMan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:26 pm

A year ago I convinced my girlfriend to buy a pathfinder as well so she ended up getting an '04 3.5L SE with the sunroof. It is amazing and hasn't had any problems at all. I have an older 3.3L and I can tell a difference when driving mine to driving hers. The extra kick is nice to have, especially for towing. I have never towed using her's, but I tow all the time with mine and it's great.

flaMtneer

Postby flaMtneer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

The manual transmission versions only have a 3500# tow rating while the automatics carry a 5000# rating, so that might factor into your decision. I've got an '04 automatic and have towed right at the 5000# limit and it's done fine. The rear end is pretty soft, so if you've got any tongue weight on what you're going to tow you might consider adding some kind of support to the rear springs. (I added Timbrens and they've worked fine.)

Through 50K miles I've had zero mechanical problems. The 6-disc changer stopped playing CD's and that was fixed under warranty and I think that was the only warranty issue I had. I do have severe paint problems (paint is peeling off the top of the liftgate and roof) so you might take a good look at the paint - especially if your looking at an '04. My internet research is showing that this seems to be more of an '05+ problem and mine was built late in the '04 model year so I think I was just "lucky".

Really a great vehicle - love it minus the paint. Can't say the same for Nissan corporate, though.

EDIT: One othe note: I don't know how far back it goes, but the "LE" 4x4 has a full time 4WD (or AWD) mode. The other trim levels only come with the traditional part-time 4WD.

jeffp0477

Postby jeffp0477 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:56 pm

pointers.. the rear coils sags.... or gets droopy... powerwise it is great..

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”