Dies when in gear on cold days

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Vanste

Dies when in gear on cold days

Postby Vanste » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:36 pm

I have a 99 pathfinder that will cut off if I put it in any gear but it only happens when the motor is cold. When it's hot it will be fine. I replaced about almost everything I can think of. There was a check engine light for knock sensor and o2 sensor but I replaced it with new ones. I also did a full tune up with new distributor and new coolant temp sensor. Any suggestions?

fleurys

Re: Dies when in gear on cold days

Postby fleurys » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am

Vanste wrote:I have a 99 pathfinder that will cut off if I put it in any gear but it only happens when the motor is cold. When it's hot it will be fine. I replaced about almost everything I can think of. There was a check engine light for knock sensor and o2 sensor but I replaced it with new ones. I also did a full tune up with new distributor and new coolant temp sensor. Any suggestions?
Have you tried changing your transmission oil.... A trans failing when put in gear could be related to the torque converter, but then again, you will need to check the oil first... it should come out a nice red.... if it is brown to black, you might need to change twice as you will not be able to change the oil in the torque converter. So you change once, then run with it a couple of miles, then change again.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”