Infamous power valve screw problem-driving me cr

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

BuckPath01

Infamous power valve screw problem-driving me cr

Postby BuckPath01 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:13 am

To whomever doesn't know what I'm talking about, just google "2001 pathfinder power valve screws" and read up on it if you have the 3.5. I wish I never came across this kind of. My o1 has 135K and in perfect shape but now I can't stop thinking that my is gonna be killed by this. I'm debating on whether to say the he'll with it and drive it or either pull the intake off and all that and re threadlock the screws or pay a shop to do this. Anyone familiar with this? What did you guys do?

fleurys

Re: Infamous power valve screw problem-driving me cr

Postby fleurys » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:44 am

BuckPath01 wrote:To whomever doesn't know what I'm talking about, just google "2001 pathfinder power valve screws" and read up on it if you have the 3.5. I wish I never came across this kind of. My o1 has 135K and in perfect shape but now I can't stop thinking that my is gonna be killed by this. I'm debating on whether to say the he'll with it and drive it or either pull the intake off and all that and re threadlock the screws or pay a shop to do this. Anyone familiar with this? What did you guys do?
is your truck worth 200$ for you ? because that's about what it will cost you if you have a nissan dealer make it for you. Be done with it and sleep better. :wink:

BuckPath01

Postby BuckPath01 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:59 pm

Just called dealer today they claim that they never heard of paths having this problem, but the 4 cyl altimAs. They said that's not a prob with the 3.5, which is clearly bs with all these forums I'm readying but quoted me $500 to open up and lick tight. I might end end up doing myself.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:06 pm

well, better deal with another dealer because I know for a fact that the dealers were advised by a service bulletin (like 2 years ago), that the power valve screws were an issue on the pathfinders/qx4 too... I guess, your dealer , like many others, don't bother reading them...they really just care about recalls....

and I confirm, that 200$ is about the price they charge to do the job...

that , the maf and the coils are about what can go wrong with these engines over time... which is not much if you ask me... I've lived with fords and gms for many years before and i'm not missing them.... ;-) My path is at 235000km and still running strong...

BuckPath01

Postby BuckPath01 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks for the input. Awesome path you got there by the way. The only other dealer is about 45 minutes away so I'll probably have a good independent garage do the work. I plan on keeping mine for a long time, I usually only keep my cars for about a year then flip them since I work for a dealer but for the money (5-6 grand) there aren't really any nice SUVs that I'd like more than mine. The only car I'd want would be An 02 maxima but most have rusted quarters. Wouldn't mind an 05 g35 sedan either, little to much unless i find a nice high milage one at auction. But these paths are best of both worlds. They feel like a maxima in an suv body. I'd never buy American. I'd like an 05 path but i hear alot of bad tranny issues and that's my biggest fear .

Templater

Postby Templater » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 am

What years of Pathy are affected by "power valve screw" issue? I just a bought a 1999.5 and wondering if it something I should take care of. Thanks.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”