Brakes locking up?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

pf412

Brakes locking up?

Postby pf412 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE. I have been expericencing a problem where while driving I get a random thumping or banging sound from the wheels (it kind of sounds like I hit a bump but I know it isn't a bump). When this happens it seems like the brakes are randomly engaging by themselves and then breaking free, causing the banging sound. The brakes do not lock up completely and it happens randomly from both the front and the back, left and right.

Also, I had two instances where I stopped at a traffic light and while sitting there I slowly let off on the brake pedal and the brakes were still engaged. When i accelerated, the brakes released with the same banging sound that I heard while driving.

Just a background note. Two months ago I had new tires installed that were slightly larger than stock size. I had larger tires on before as well so I do not think the tires are an issue. About a month ago I had new rear shocks put in and had the front right ABS sensor changed because it was throwing a code. I also had the front right wheel bearing tightened because it was loose. The problems started after the ABS sensor was changed. When I took it back to the mechanic, he could not replicate the problem, however, the front left ABS sensor failed, so I had to change that too. The problem has been ongoing and I went back to the mechanic today to have him drive it again and this time he experienced the "bang". He seems to think that the problem may be related to the ABS system and wants to do further diagnostic testing while driving to see if the ABS is receiving a signal to engage.

Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”