Changing harmonic balancer tomorrow, need help

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

GiantRockStar

Changing harmonic balancer tomorrow, need help

Postby GiantRockStar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi guys, thanks for looking at my post. I have a 1997 pathfinder SE 4x4 and I will be replacing the harmonic balancer tomorrow. It's squealing like crazy and was diagnosed by a pro shop (after all the belts/tensioners were replaced)

I purchased a removal tool from NAPA. It is the harmonic balancer puller for "2 or 3 hole applications" as stated on the back.

I'm looking at the new balancer, and I don't see these tapped holes, however I do see two very small tapped holes that look nothing like the ones I was expecting. Are these the holes to use?

Do I risk messing with the engine timing on this job? I don't think so but just wanted to be sure.

As far as keeping the crank from turning, I see a lot about buying an immobilizer tool for the HB. Is this even needed if the wheels are on the ground and it's in gear?

Thanks in advance.

skifiddle

Postby skifiddle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:41 pm

On my 98, I thought that the two holes were for a puller. I was threading in a bolt to make sure that the threads were ready and noticed the balancer coming off, so put one in the other hole and finished it. I am pretty sure that they are M6-1.0 x 2 inches or so to stick out enough. Mine are jack screw holes like on better brake drums.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”