What to look out for in these '97 and '98 models...

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Mercfan

What to look out for in these '97 and '98 models...

Postby Mercfan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Tired of looking at Toyota 4Runners... they are waaay overpriced. Started looking at Pathfinders this week - they look like nice vehicles that may just fit my needs.

Looking for something with a capable 4x4 (nothing too crazy) and it's good in the winter and summer. Something that can take me to the river/mountain to fish and bring me back while achieving reasonable MPGs.

Found a couple fo Pathfinders in my area - here are the ads:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2141709901.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2172125733.html

Is there anything about these model years that I should be aware of - especially in the drive train?! Is the V6 pretty capable to moving this truck around even up some steep passes we have around here?! Don't wanna win any races but don't want to have to be in a slow lane at 40mph the whole way up either...

What is a typical mileage on these vehicles (unmodified).

Any comments, guidance will be appreciated.

THx,
James in Denver, CO

GiantRockStar

Postby GiantRockStar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi Merc,

I recently purchased a 97 5speed SE 4x4 myself. I'm still getting acquainted with it, but so far I like it. It seems to be built like a rock.

Power is sufficient to move the truck around, although it could use a few more hp to bring it to a more comfortable driving experience. You won't be stuck doing 40mph in the slow lane, but definitely wont win a race.

4x4 seems capable with what I've seen so far, which is not too much off road, but tons of deep snow driving in this upstate NY and Vermont winter so far. I must admit, that my Audi quattro was a bit better in the snow, I was stuck the other day with my driver side wheels buried and passenger side wheels on dry pavement. I thought the fact that it was limited slip would take care of this, however the passenger side wheels did not turn. My a4 would NEVER have failed me in this situation. But it just took a little shoveling and it wasn't really a problem to rock it out. In RWD it's actually not too bad for tooling around town in light snow.

Overall I like the truck very much. It handles very well and extremely useful. I got it because like you, I wanted a good vehicle for fishing, canoeing, camping, biking in the mountains, etc... while hauling my giant labrador around. I can fit an incredible amount of... anything... in the truck. It drives great, excellent ground clearance, and handles well. It started up first crank in -13F weather we had here the other day. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired, however. My best mileage was on a long highway trip where I averaged 18.5mpg (with people, dogs, and gear, weighing it down at over 70mph, not bad) but around town I average 13.5 which is just brutal. I don't drive hard, either.

If you get it, I think you'll like it. It seems like a very capable and dependable vehicle that's fun to drive. with sorta cruddy gas mileage. I'm tall at 6'4" and I fit okay in the driver's seat, although would be nice if it went back just a little further. I couldn't comfortably fit at all in the Cherokee's I have driven. Stock stereo system is great.

texotic

Postby texotic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Hello Giant, i would suggest you check the catalytic converters. Make sure they're in good conditions as they tend to be very expensive. Other then

BuckPath01

Postby BuckPath01 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 am

I would just be careful about rust especially rear quarters and rocker panels. Many people have a shit job done for 200 bucks before the sell it and will look just as bad in 6 months. And if you have the means I'd suggest getting an 01 w the 3.5. Lots of power like night and day compared to the 3.3. You can get one with 150k for 4-4500 if you look. Def worth it but the older ones are still cool and pretty much same besides engine . Just make sure tranny shifts smooth driving slow and accelerating. Make sure o/d off buttons works as it should

Longtrail1859

Postby Longtrail1859 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:01 pm

I think you'll be happy with the Pathfinder. I've done a lot of offraoding with mine, mostly in the East Sierras. I've had no problems with the drive train. It's quite capable, just be conservative off road and perform the recommended maintenance. My gas mileage has bee consistent with that of the ealier responder to this thread. 18 hwy/13 city.

Jerrydog

Postby Jerrydog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:04 am

Well I've had mine 14 years and its never broken down never not started and never been towed. If nissan had not changed the body style to the ugliest thing Ive ever seen I would have bought another one this year.

My only complaint other than tan interior get dirty by looking at it, is it is the biggest gutless wonder ever. It has no power, plenty of towing torque though, but no power. If Nissan had added another 75 or 10hp it would make a word of differance.

Only other thing but not a big deal is it get worse gas milage than a full size Tahoe V8 and theres no reason why it ever should.

I did buy a 4runner to replace it this winter as I am selling it in the spring. 4runner has better milage more get up and go and has the older body style looks that nissan abandoned.

Just last night the tranny started slipping but that aside its the only major repair I've ever done. Other than exhaust rusting, struts, timing belts, hoses filter, fluids, one cv shaft, one ball joint, tires and brakes its never really had an issue. Oh yeah sun roof leaks keep your drains clean!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”