2004 Pathfinder, rattling/squeaking coming from pulley?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

TroubledWine

2004 Pathfinder, rattling/squeaking coming from pulley?

Postby TroubledWine » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm

I have a 2004 Pathfinder Platinum Ed. w/ 73k miles. When the cold weather set in here in NC, it started making a small "rattling" noise, kinda like a squeal/squeak but with a more tick/friction kinda sound. Once the vehicle is warmed up to operating temp., the sound goes away.

Everywhere I've read says "harmonic balancer/crank pulley". None of the pulleys seemed loose and belts were replaced 8k miles ago.

Is there any definite way to diagnose this before I spend god-knows-what for a crank pulley? Also, if that's what it is...are there new ones available for less than $175(cheapest I've found online for a new one)?

Thanks a lot for your help, folks.

Northeaster

Postby Northeaster » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 pm

you can search for other posts on harmonic balancer, for more info.

Basically, the inner rubber lets go, and allows the outer pulley to spin around the inner part. If you look carefully, or measure when engine is not running... you will likely find the sace behind the outer pulley getting smaller, as the pulley slips, and often moves back somehwatil it catches and stops squeaking for a while. Then slips again, etc.

Get it looked at soon. Can be DIY job if you have access o a puller, and the threads on the two bolt holes (to pull with) are in decent shape. Bolt holes are quite undersized for pulling though, and can cause problems.

skifiddle

Postby skifiddle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:37 pm

On my 98, the two bolt holes are actually tapped through to use jacking screws without a puller. M6-1.0 an inch and half or two to reach out of the hollow.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”