Help Please! I know there is a possible recall on pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

chuckSE

Help Please! I know there is a possible recall on pathfinder

Postby chuckSE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:17 pm

This might be long so sorry in advance.

But for last few months my steering wheel has been completely screwed up. Imagine your steering wheel and how it looks when you are driving straight. Now imagine it when your turning a really sharp left or right.... Well when I drive straight I have to hold my steering wheel so it looks like I'm turning left or right real hard or sometimes my steering wheel is even upside down while driving straight! I also have a loss of steering/turning ability. I try to change lanes on the highway and instead of instantly merging I have to pull even harder than I should to merge into another lane or even turn. I just got my struts replaced 5 months ago and a tire rotation.

Anyone know what could be wrong with my car?
Thanks for the help and P.S. Hey everyone my names Chuck and im new here to these forums!

180sx

Postby 180sx » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Sounds like your steering rack bushings. Mine did the same thing. I could even change the way the steering wheel was facing if I spun it hard enough, and the PF wouldn't even turn. Mine deteriated from the oil changes (3.3 oil filter leaks oil all over the bushing, killing it over time). A good way to prevent this is putting a ziplock bag over it to catch the oil.

Have a look at the driver side bushing and see what it looks like.

Jose

chuckSE

Postby chuckSE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:19 pm

thanks man, yeah that makes some sense I had the passenger side one replaced when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago and theres been oil dripping for quite some time now but I always check and the dipstick always says full but im deff going to check it out this week cause we got 60's all week in the carolinas ha

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”