Loud chirping noise from engine when engine is cold

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Tele4Mongo

Loud chirping noise from engine when engine is cold

Postby Tele4Mongo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm getting a loud chirping noise from the belt area when I start the engine cold. It goes away after the engine is nice and warm or about 10 miles of driving. It doesn't happen in warm weather as the car starts without any noise. The belts are almost new. They seem to be a little loose so I tighthen to no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I only want answers by form, please no packages at the door.

Tele4mongo

Alfredo24PR

Re: Loud chirping noise from engine when engine is cold

Postby Alfredo24PR » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:23 am

Tele4Mongo wrote:I'm getting a loud chirping noise from the belt area when I start the engine cold. It goes away after the engine is nice and warm or about 10 miles of driving. It doesn't happen in warm weather as the car starts without any noise. The belts are almost new. They seem to be a little loose so I tighthen to no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I only want answers by form, please no packages at the door.

Tele4mongo
That happens to me sometimes, but I usually ignore it because it seems to be harmless. Do you get the noise every time?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:48 am

I do have the same issue and was sure it was related to my adjustment pulleys... After changing both...I was wrong... I now know it is related to the clutch fan. The problem is the following...

1) In our clutch fan resides a viscous liquid that by default is semi-thick. When the engine heats up, it becomes more liquid and starts revolving with the the pulley and makes the fan run at engine rpm.

When you start in the morning when cold, the liquid is like jelly and forces the bearing inside the pulley to absorb some of the energy of the rotating engine. The noise is coming from this bearing inside the pulley of the clutch fan...

It's been like this for a good 2 years on my side... But i do plan on changing the clutch fan. Not difficult, easily done with regular hand tools.

S.

docjones

Postby docjones » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:25 am

I have had that same problem since mine was brand new. I should have had them fix it while it was still under warranty. After 7 years and 101,000 miles it still does it without any other problems. My PF hasn't been back to the shop for anything since I purchased it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

powdajohn

Postby powdajohn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Just a couple of times means fine but often smells like problem to me.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:02 pm

check your harmonic dampener for seperation.

newpath

Postby newpath » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:20 am

I had/have the same problem. I took it in just because I don't have time for a break down. But of course, the engine was warmed up when I got there, and they couldn't find anything. They told me that it could just be moisture that gets in the pulleys, or under the belts and will cause the noise, and once the moisture dissipates, the noise will go away. Haven't heard the noise since it's been warm now.

Tele4Mongo

Postby Tele4Mongo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 pm

It dropped into the 30s here in Houston and the chirping is back. Wife says she can hear it year round but its very faint in the warmer climate. As soon as the engine heats up it goes away. I've had the issue for a few years now. It would be nice to have someone ready this thread that identified the source.

Good luck.

Chirp Chirp

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”