Starts but engine cuts off

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

danypath

Starts but engine cuts off

Postby danypath » Mon May 23, 2011 6:17 pm

I have a 2000 pathfinder and just recently noticed it would spit and sputter and after a few minutes would run fine. I've noticed a loss of power in it since the past few weeks. Since yesturday when I start it up it turns ok then the engine just cuts out!!!

Checked relays, fuses, egr valve, vaccums.... any suggestions??

If it can help, just for the info, I do go 4x4 with it, could something be clogged and would cause this to happen over time?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon May 23, 2011 6:52 pm

any check engine light ? if so, you need to get the codes...

if not, I would look at the fuel pump or any other things that can fail without giving any codes... (o2 sensors, coils, maf will give codes, so it leaves you with not that much really)...

S.

dpassino

Postby dpassino » Tue May 24, 2011 6:16 am

My 2003 se was doing something similiar.. Would start up and then cut off.... My mother's altima... same thing... I cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner, and ran some seafoam through the brake booster line on both cars, and the next day on a cold morning... no problemo....

oh.. might also want to think about cleaning the MAF with Maf Cleaner spray.. just be gentle with it.. they are fragile.

danypath

Postby danypath » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm

hey thx for the info!!!
Got one of my mecanics to come over and get the check engine code came up with P0325... Knock sensor...
He is very scepticale about it because never had a vehicle with a knock sensor issue where it wont run at all. So he checked the pressure in the fuel... thinking there may be a lack of pressure there but it was all good.
So we are gonna give it a try and change the knock sensor. Gonna be a heck of a job but we'll see if anything changes.
I'll keep you posted on this could be good info for someone else having the same issue!! :)

dpassino

Postby dpassino » Thu May 26, 2011 2:01 pm

danypath wrote:hey thx for the info!!!
Got one of my mecanics to come over and get the check engine code came up with P0325... Knock sensor...
He is very scepticale about it because never had a vehicle with a knock sensor issue where it wont run at all. So he checked the pressure in the fuel... thinking there may be a lack of pressure there but it was all good.
So we are gonna give it a try and change the knock sensor. Gonna be a heck of a job but we'll see if anything changes.
I'll keep you posted on this could be good info for someone else having the same issue!! :)
Never heard of a KS making car die out. All the KS does is adjust for pinging/knock, but go ahead and change it anyway... but I'd be extremely surprised if it clears up your issue. You will however notice a bit of a quicker acceleration if your knock is indeed bad once you change it and the ECU resets itself.

I'd still recommend cleaning Throttle body and pop 1/3 a can of seafoam through the Brake Booster Line, but do it at night in a very well ventilated area.. Very Smokey!

danypath

Postby danypath » Sat May 28, 2011 3:06 pm

yeah so we haven't changed the KS, i doubt its the issue and my mecanic too... its really weird, when i start it now i can keep it running but my cut off is at 2500 rpm.... i really dont get it...

I shot brake cleaner into the air intake while starting it and its seems to work better now and i was told that it would be my fuel pump but its pumping fine...
I will try to clean the throttle body, take your advise and see what happens.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Sat May 28, 2011 10:11 pm

The symptoms you now state are almost always related to the MAF. try to see if you can clean your maf with maf cleaner....

Like I said, a 2500 cutoff is most probably related to that...

rwg550

Postby rwg550 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:14 pm

I have a 98 PF and at around 150,000 miles, it started intermittant sputtering and sometimes wouldn't go over 40 mph. It was diagnosed as electrical and random as different plugs would not fire at times. Took off the distributor cap, rotor and the metal plate below them and there was the problem. The bearings had worn and the balls in the bearings were spalling. Flakes of metal were flying around inside the distributor causing random shorts. Coil inside the distributor had some burn marks on it as well. Replacement of the distributor cured the problem.

dpassino

Postby dpassino » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:00 am

fleurys wrote:The symptoms you now state are almost always related to the MAF. try to see if you can clean your maf with maf cleaner....

Like I said, a 2500 cutoff is most probably related to that...
+1 on this!

A bad or dirty maf will cause a 2500-3k cut off.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”