1997 R50 auto trans and transfer case problems

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

demuro1

1997 R50 auto trans and transfer case problems

Postby demuro1 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:44 am

Ok so I have searched and can't seem to find an answer. My problem goes like this, I noticed today that the O/D light started flashing on start up. It has never done this before.
Second is that I can't shift into 4HI or N. It will shift from 2HI one click down to what is suppose to be 4 HI but it goes straight into what feels like 4 LO and the shifter won't go any further back. I haven't really looked at it, mainly because I don't know too much about transfer cases. Anyone have an idea as to what is going on?

DeepBlueSky

Postby DeepBlueSky » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm in the middle of getting an R50 myself, as such I tend to reseach the net finding out what issues I should look out for.

Anyway to cut a long story short, one site mentioned issues with Transmissions a guy had been told he would need a rebuild due to erratic changing a clunking etc. Turns out these transmissions are oil viscousity sensitive and as the oil ages it viscousity changes causing all sorts of weird problems with shifting etc. I think its to do with the internal transmission sensors getting confused.

Anyway the guy took the wagon to another shop who knew about this said he needed to use genuine nissan or approved fluid (right mix of friction modifiers) the flushed the trans apparently with great results.

Don't know if this willl help here, but it may save you a few dollars.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”