K&N air filters

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

gnote

K&N air filters

Postby gnote » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 am

If i were to put in in my 03 Pathfinder would there be any noticeable difference, or are they mostly hype?

I realize it's just an air filter, i'm not expecting it to act like it's super charger or anything. Just wondering if it's worth the money vs potential performance improvement.

newpath

Postby newpath » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I JUST ordered a K&N CAI yesterday. They guarantee increased horsepower. So I would have to say it's worth something. For the 02 (I believe 03 uses the same CAI) they estimate just over 14 more HP. The cost of that vs a turbo kit isn't comparable in my eyes... I bought mine from Ebay through a reliable seller and bought it brand new for 229. I believe to buy direct from K&N it was just over 300. I can't say from personal experience though...yet.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:21 pm

once you get it installed, you convince urself that it has more power. :D

i had a K&N and you could feel a slight difference in power. what i loved about it though was the raw sound of the throttle, and the air suction sound just as soon as you press the gas. worth it IMO

go for it, cheap mod. just remember to clean/oil it regularly

gnote

Postby gnote » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks for the replies. I've spent a lot money purchasing the vehicle, registering it and so on but once i recover a bit from that financial beating i'll look into getting one.

zymol75

Postby zymol75 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 pm

I actually dyno'd mine at a friends speed shop. (haha silly I know) yep def increase. 17 HP exactly. oh the sound and seat of pants feeling for sure. another trick? Remove the viscous fan and install electric fan on radiator. 3 hp gain from reduced drag on piggish pulley set. Dead serious. Summit racing or Jegs or JCWhitney even.

Just get a good brand kit that will wire into the temp sensor harness so it will switch on and off. A basic manual switch will work but you have to remember to turn it off, or wire it to the ignition switch and then its always on and could keep the engine running too cool too long and increase emissions.

Alfredo24PR

Re: K&N air filters

Postby Alfredo24PR » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:11 pm

gnote wrote:If i were to put in in my 03 Pathfinder would there be any noticeable difference, or are they mostly hype?

I realize it's just an air filter, i'm not expecting it to act like it's super charger or anything. Just wondering if it's worth the money vs potential performance improvement.
definetely helps. I have mine with exhaust and trust me there is improvement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvq41Vo_LA

Livin_AZ_Style!!

Postby Livin_AZ_Style!! » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:31 pm

so, did that K&N filter increase HP's. any other way to increase gas mileages?

Alfredo24PR

Postby Alfredo24PR » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Livin_AZ_Style!! wrote:so, did that K&N filter increase HP's. any other way to increase gas mileages?
Yes it increases hp but only notable at RPMs over 4500 so unless you drive fast and furious you would not notice it and it increases gas mileage but I would say slightly because I am not a slow driver.

Its a product worth buying IMO because it makes a pretty cool sound besides improving HP and gas mileage

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”