Water in driver's side floorboard

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Sheena4uk

Water in driver's side floorboard

Postby Sheena4uk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 am

Appreciate any help from anyone out there in Pathy land. October 2010 we had 4 - 5 days of rain, rain, rain ...... got in my 2001 Pathfinder and the driver's side floor mat was squishy (water underneath). Took it in to the shop (not a dealer) .... they cleaned the sun roof, drains, checked AC hose, etc ..... and I went on my way ($90).

In the past 4 days we've once again experienced tons of rain (Virginia Beach), and once again my driver's side mat/mat pad etc. Has tons of water soaked up in it. I took the side plastic (and floor plastic) thing out and lifted up the carpet ...... and there's water RUST and a hole in the floor board! I can stick my finger through the hole from the bottom of the truck - and into the truck floor.

Advice? Suggestions? Any thoughts on where is this water coming from? How can I trouble shoot it? How much will it cost to "fix the problem"? What can I do about the HOLE in the floorboard?

By the way - I'm in no way mechanically inclined .... but hopefully someone can offer their expertise/help/guidance. Thanks

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:03 am

The only real way to fix holes in the frame is to weld new metal in. Expensive.

You may want to try a can of spray foam.

Is the water coming from the hole?

Sheena4uk

Water coming from hole ???

Postby Sheena4uk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:12 am

Thanks for the response -

Weird - I don't see how the water could be coming from the hole in the floor board. Think water must be coming from a drain area where the door jam area meets the hood area ??? It's been under a car cover since I tried to clean it up (yesterday) and it continues to rain, rain, rain. Husband will check it out when it stops raining today/tomorrow.

I think the hole was created because of the water? But, it's very odd - the hole seems to be perfectly round. Husband thought maybe it's supposed to be there 'as drainage' ??? can't figure it out - but hopefully he'll be able to.

Thanks for the suggestion on the spray foam - never would have thought of that.

Sheena4uk

Sunroof drain clogged

Postby Sheena4uk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:37 am

There's a drain on both side corners of the sun roof - my husband was able to figure out that the leak was due to the drain on the driver's side was clogged and the rain/water was unable to drain down and out properly. The drain area in the door jam was also filled with leaves, mud, etc. Cleaned both that and the sun roof drain and now in the process of drying out the mat pad.

Also the "hole" in the floor is apparently supposed to be there - as stated, it's a perfect circle - so it's not rust. Whew.......... thankfully.

Any thoughts on what to purchase for mold/mildew for floor mat/pad?

Thanks again.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:54 am

Glad you figured out your drainage issue. As far as the hole goes, I'd be willing to bet that a grommet or plug should be in there. I don't think there are supposed to be any holes in the body, could allow exhaust in, so that would be a safety concern.

Sheena4uk

grommet / plug

Postby Sheena4uk » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Yeah, you're probably correct - makes more sense. Trying to figure out a way to cover it. Using a half dollar wrapped in foil ........ and spraying some foam spray stuff over top before putting it all back together.

Thanks again -

:D

zymol75

Postby zymol75 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

When I do water damage repairs I put a small round high velocity fan in the car with all doors and hatches open overnight indoors. always dry when i come back. you absolutely must remove all liquid water first with shop vac or similar before drying moisture.
Also Wal-mart makes a moisture absorbant hangbag sort of thing for closets that can be hung on back of seat overnight. dont let it be for more than 1 night !!! you dont want this thing to explode. What a mess and omg yuk!! I have seen it happen. good luck.
-Brian

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”