Many problems with my 2001 Pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Pathfinder01

Many problems with my 2001 Pathfinder

Postby Pathfinder01 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey everyone,

Okay so let's get started.... My car overheats like crazy all the time when I'm driving. Especially on hot days. I will be cruising down the highway and then turn on the A/C next thing I know, the temp gauge is all the way up. It will also overheat when I stop at a red light or stop sign. It sometimes cools down once i start driving again but not to normal operating temperatures...

I am thinking that it is either my water pump or radiator but how would I go about troubleshooting this? I do not know much about cars but I am trying to learn. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also does anyone have any recommendations for cheap replacement parts, specifically front and rear bumper covers with the wheel well splash guards.

My last problem is when I press the brake pedal (on the highway for ex.) my steering wheel shakes violently and my brakes barely work. Is this from warped rotors or what would cause it?

Again I don't know much about cars but I'd like to learn, if you need pics or anymore details just let me know

Thanks,
Joe

zcameron831

Postby zcameron831 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 pm

how many miles do you have on your pathfinder? the overheating issue could be alot of things, or just a lack of maintenance. The vibration from the brakes is most likely warped brakes. take it to a shop and ask them to machine the rotors. or you can call a local auto parts store and see how much new rotors cost.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:00 pm

first of all, welcome to both of you on the forum. always nice to see new joinees....

for the overheating as zcameron mentioned, it can be many things.
start off with the basics by checking the coolant level, and making sure theres no leaks anywhere the pathfinder with the coolant lines. check the radiator hoses first, and make sure the rubber cap under the radiator lid is in good condition.

when the car overheats, pop the hood and check for any leaks or water spurting from anywhere...
if thats not the case, try getting ur radiator flushed and compression tested (can be done at any shop for very cheap).

also check ur rotors and if they seem fine, it could be the brake bads themselves and not the rotor.
keep us updated with what happens

Cheers

Pathfinder01

Overheating and brakes

Postby Pathfinder01 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:35 am

Well, it has about 150-155000 miles on it now. What maintenance should I do to prevent this from happening again? When it overheats, the overflow tank (I think that is what it's called) overflows all over. I checked coolant and it is fine and no other leaks, The guy at the shop said it was clogged and he had to replace it. As for the brakes he still has to get back to me. How much should the rotors cost approx. to get machined? Like a range of pricing and what would be considered a rip off?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:59 am

dunno bout where u live, but i've had them done once at Nissan for $25 per rotor, and then at a random workshop for $5 a rotor. didnt notice any difference.

Pathfinder01

Postby Pathfinder01 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm from New Jersey

Pathfinder01

so...

Postby Pathfinder01 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:44 pm

So any recommendations on basic car maintenance to prevent this from happening again?

Pathfinder01

Rotors

Postby Pathfinder01 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:33 pm

The shop I went to told me 250-300$ for new rotors because he would have to take the 4wd apart to change them or something? Is that a rip off or how hard would they be to do myself? He said it would just be the front rotors for 250-300$

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:02 pm

take the 4WD apart for changing rotors?
thats like removing an engine to replace wiper blades

call BS and check somewhere else. 250-300 is way too much for rotor skimming, unless he was thinking of completely replacing the rotors

zymol75

Postby zymol75 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 pm

He (the tech) is referring to the 4WD hubs you guys! Come on!

The front brake job on a Pathy is a 3.0 hr paying job due to rotors hubs and bearings being involved, so 300 or more is not unusual. I never resurface rotors. replace them! especially in rust,salt,snow area like Jersey. bite the bullet.

I wouldn't try to learn auto mechanics on a Pathy Hub as a beginners job. The bearings have specific levels of torque and the hub has to be locked in a vice and the rotor beat off and reset precisely or the vibration will be intense when u are done. Also you cannot mix greases when you repack your bearings they must be completely cleaned in solvent and packed well. the seal is also easily damaged if you are unaware of the easy way to remove it. i can do the job in less than 1 hr but I am master certified and have yrs exp. a lift, air tools, loaded professional shop, etc. good luck.
-Brian
If I can help with any info needed I will.

Pathfinder01

Thanks

Postby Pathfinder01 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the help. One more question. I need to replace my seals on my doors. In the recent heat they have shrunk and don't seal anything. What is a price range for this? Is there a tutorial out to do it myself or another job I should pay to have done?

zymol75

Postby zymol75 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:16 am

extremely easy. almost like a tongue and groove type design.the lower edge has trim held with clips and then the seal just presses into place. also before you replace them, sometimes they slide around and look stretched when really they just need repositioning. i press them and hold each 5 in ch section as i press it back on and move around then they slide back. they are not complete circles. they actually stop behind the trim.

Pathfinder01

Seals

Postby Pathfinder01 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Do you know anywhere to order them online that is cheap? I really only need one for the passenger side rear door but for the right price I'll do them all.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”