2001 Nissan Pathfinder No Fuel Problem

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

crondeau89

2001 Nissan Pathfinder No Fuel Problem

Postby crondeau89 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me, I have a problem that I cant figure out.

I have a 2001 Pathfinder 3.5, 106K. Basically I am not getting any fuel. Throwing Lean on Bank 1 and 2, Knock sensor, and multiple misfire.
On a cold start it runs extremely rough and stall out multiple times. Once I am able to keep it running I can take it down the road but accelerates slowly. I can not get it to pass 4k rmp unless i give it a shot of propane which is used to test a lack of fuel.Sometimes i will be at a light and it will almost die on me once i step on the throttle. It boggs when it wants too as well. I have litterally gone thru everything.

Fuel Pump, checked preasure, its good
Fuel Preassure Regulator,Replaced
Voltage to fuel pump is good
MAF, cleaned, checked voltage to nissan specs, its good
Vaccuum Leak None
Smoke Test Done, No leak
IAT Changed
Fuel Filter Changed
Seafoam thru vaccuum line
O2 Sensor are reading lean beacuase the truck is lean, however they do flutuate like they are supposed too
Didnt find any pinched fuel lines
Plugs are good

The snapon scanner is reading very lean as indicated by the o2 sensors

I have been able to narrow it down to fuel because I hooked it up to propain and gave it a shot while it was on the scanner and was able to see the idle smooth right out, the o2 go to normal and the fuel go back and forth from lean to rich like it is supposed to.

I am out of ideas and I am trying to stay away from the dealer. Any thoughts?? Sorry for the novel.

zymol75

Postby zymol75 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:05 pm

I would lay money on the fuel pump. here's why.

Even though you are getting the psi required you may not be getting volume. the dealer has a bench setup to measure volume output from an injector set and i have seen many that are not up to spec. usually i work on VW/Audi but I own Nissan/Infiniti (many in family) and the principles are the same. the pump will spin fast enough to move the fuel and create pressure but the but the little gears inside are weak and have slop so the volume is inconsistent and the injectors open and spit but have to hard "loogy" to deliver. It's similar to a pressure washer in design. lots of pressure but very little volume behind it.

I would go with that based on what you have said you already tried. Also heat and quality of fuel can cause this design pump to weaken if it is already going bad.

Good luck
-Brian

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”