Need help!

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

cliles

Need help!

Postby cliles » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:12 pm

I have a 2002 Pathfinder. A couple days ago it started running really rough and threw a code. I put a reader on it and it came back misfire on the number 6 cylinder. So I pulled the plug and the tip was crushed...any ideas whats wrong??

zymol75

Postby zymol75 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Something came apart or got in the cylinder. You need to get a hold of a boroscope and look down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. This will not be easy of course since we are talking about the #6. Pray to God the valve hasn't chipped or something. Very unlikely but who knows? Maybe large carbon deposit broke off of something else. But first I would put eyes in the cylinder with the scope.
Last edited by zymol75 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:53 pm

check your power valve screws under the intake. They are small copper screws that secure the variable intake runner butterflies... they have a tendency to slack off and eventually fall in the cylinders...

there is a thread about this on every pathfinder forums, including this one...

search or look on the stickies... keyword : power valve screws

S. :cry:

cliles

Postby cliles » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Ok thank you for your help. It was the power valve screws and I had it fixed. Then about a week later I was going down interstate with the cruise set and I noticed it down shift to maintain the speed (on flat ground) so i cancelled the cruise figured out I had lost power and limped it off interstate. It was making a loud knocking noise that went with the rpm's the motor was turning then died when I got it into a gas station. I'm guessing this is not a sign of good fortune for my motor, any thoughts?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”