New(to me) '01 Trans Issue/?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

swanicyouth

New(to me) '01 Trans Issue/?

Postby swanicyouth » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:39 am

Hi, I just purchased an 01 4x4 PF auto with 88k. I only have one issue / question: Every once in a while, the transmission seems to "shudder" in 3rd gear. This happens a few times each ride, and it's hard to pinpoint if it's 3rd or OD it's happening in. It doesn't seem like a big issue and it's not slipping. Just a "shake" or a "shudder" every once in a while during part throttle that seems like the trans, but can be felt through the sterring wheel. It almost feels as if a U joint is just going bad, but it only happens for a second. Fluid condition and level are OK. I am wondering if this may just be normal, or if it's a known issue with these vehicles? You can't predict if/when it will happen; and can't make it happen on demand. I'm used to driving a 6sp manual BMW, so the PF is totally new to me. Any advice? Today I am doing to lube the drive shaft and check the u joints. *** Also, are these older PFs subject to the trans fluid leaking through the radiator cooler (no sign of that)? Or, is that just the newer ones?

Qatcool

Postby Qatcool » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:36 am

HI, I have the same issue, I just bought a 2002 pathfinder. my issue is that their is a kicked between the 1st gear and 2nd gear. and some vibration also, I guess it is all the same issues with the old pathys. If you have resolved the issue please let me know also.

thanks.

swanicyouth

Postby swanicyouth » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:23 am

The issue is very odd. I'm trying to isolate it. Sometimes I'm not even convinced it's the trans. You feel it through the wheel and the hood shakes for a second. It almost feels like a shaky torque converter lock up, but it seems to happen in 3rd gear. I'm can't even seem so prove it happens during a shift. It's just a shaking you feel in the wheel, but not the seat or the shifter that lasts a second. I'm almost wondering if a coil is going bad and shutting down for an instant, but it feels more like drive line - not engine. Anyone have this part throttle 1 second shaking of the wheel and hood in higher gears? Help! Other than that, love the PF. It's got a lot of options and they all work. The previous owner professionally but in an Alpine head unit with in dash 6 disk changer with IPod cable. It was an excellent job and works perfectly!**** A quick update: Uppon further driving an reading the owners manual; Im convinced this is happening when the toque conveter locks up - it "shudders" - Anyone have any torque converter lock up issues?

swanicyouth

Postby swanicyouth » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:41 am

Trans shudder fixed! I narrowed this down to when the torque converter was locking up. Than I did some research and found Nissan Matic D is a little different than DexronIII. I believe it has more friction modifiers, which can change the friction when to co dryer locks up. So I found that Dr Trannys Shudder fix actually is a reputable additive that increases the friction modifiers in trans fluid. It worked. Totally fixed. Than, I changed the trans and transfer case fluid twice with Castrol Multi import transmission fluid, which has more friction modifiers in it than Dex III. There is a very reputable company called Lubeguard that makes the additive I used. They recommend a different additive for long term protection that fixes shudders and actually has been prevent to lower trans operating temperatures. Its called Lubeguard Premium and a ton of transmission rebuilders recommend it and say it's reduced there comebacks. So, after I changed the fund, I added this stuff and the trans is perfect. I would look into any of Lubeguards products if you are interested in additives. Usually I think this stuff is junk, but the Lubeguard stuff does work.

roki303

Postby roki303 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 am

Had very similar issue and that was due to old ATF fluid. I used Redline ATF D4 (http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9) drained and refilled the system 3 times (driving for couple of minutes in between) and everything went back to normal.

4Wheeler

Thanks and giving back

Postby 4Wheeler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 pm

I just joined so I could say thanks and to give back....just in case someone else searches for this problem.

I've had my 2002 4x4 Pathy since new. Never had a problem and I have 127k miles on it but I never had changed the ATF before. :shock:

I also had a shudder sometimes after it shifted into OD/4th. So I did some research here and took it to a real tranny shop. Didn't trust Jiffy Lube for this. Had a complete flush and ATF and screen replacement and it fixed the issue. It also shifts like new too.

So thanks and if you have the shudder, change that ATF first if it's old fluid.

(Another shop tried to butter me up for the possibility of expensive repairs...So I thought, 'run forrest run!')

p.s.
When I said "Never had a problem" I forgot to mention that POS 6-CD changer...what a POS.

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 pm

I have an 04 pathy and it hesitates or some call it a flare in second and third, mostly third. It only happens when it has been sitting and is cold. If I take mu foot off the gas it will then just go into gear, but if driving, will rmp but nor go into gear. This happens for the first few miles of driving until it warms up. We did have a dlush done etc. I almost want to say it started after, but we only for thw teuck the wnd of January and had the flush etc and tune up done almost right away, but for the few times I drove it before the flush etc. I do not remember this happening. Another weird thing, if I warm the car up. In neutral there is no issue, but just warming the car up in park does not help, it will still slip a bit foong into second and third until driven some. Once warmed up, no issues. This is my first Pathfinder and first older truck. Really love it. It had a clean car fax, one owner and mint. No tow option so I know it was not used for towing. It has 105,00. On it but looks new. Also had new exhaust and muffler, new breaks, new tires, rear shocks, and I foeget what else, and no rust under neath, plus recall was taken care of and I think new ateuts too.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”