steering issue?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

TexPath99

steering issue?

Postby TexPath99 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I am hoping I can get ideas about an issue I have with my 1999 pathfinder 4X4. Normally the steering wheel sits at 1200 position. So neither my wife or I recall hitting a significant pothole or such, but now the steering wheel sits at about 1000 position in order to drive straight down the road. It will track well and not wander on a flat highway, no shimmy or shake felt while driving. It is as though the shaft slipped/rotated a bit or something. I put the car on jackstands and do nto observe any damage...I am not a mechanic by trade...I do have a leaky power steering rack where the boot is torn but do not think this should be a factor. I plan to take it in a for an alignment and see if anything comes up. Any thoughts out there or ever encounter something similar. Again my road is pretty rough but not rough like a 4x4 trail with potholes. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

TexPath99

Postby TexPath99 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:55 am

Well, I think I may have my own answer if this ends up helping anyone else in the future. The steering rack has two large rubber bushings and one is basically gone and the other severely worn, so it seems the entire rack may have moved a bit causing the appearance of the steering wheel to be at a different orientation..ie 1000 not 1200 yet still track well down a flat road. I have ordered a new rack as this one is leaking and new bushings....we shall see if this works.....I wonder if the leaking pwer steering fluid contributed to the deterioration of the bushings over a period of time or if it is purely wear and tear of 170,000+ miles.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”