Bought 2000 Path SE, what maintenance to start with?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

USERNAME

Bought 2000 Path SE, what maintenance to start with?

Postby USERNAME » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:09 am

Hi Guys

Just joined the forum. Picked up a 2000 Pathfinder SE, 160K miles. Original owner, all records, dealer serviced.

Was thinking of baselining the maintenance. Currently I think it needs new brakes (pedal feel is not firm, and have to push the pedal a while before it grabs).

-tranny fluid
-front/rear diff fluid
-oil change

Anything else you can recommend?

I also want to remove the rear tail light grilles. Debating on taking off or leaving the front one on.

newpath

Postby newpath » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:38 pm

It sort of depends what you mean when all maintenance was done. Does that mean actual maintenance done or just oil change every 3000 miles. Many people (sellers/dealers) use maintenance as meaning regular oil changes. Not to say that those aren't important and worth noting, but more should be done. So if you can, ask the owner what was actually done.
Inspect hoses, belts, fluid lines... things of this nature. Might want to look into getting the fuel injection cleaned. Coolant fluid exchange if you live where it's hot all year, otherwise you could wait until spring. Brake fluid flush. Inspect steering and suspension. Replace air filter if needed.
While you don't necessarily have high miles, there is a lot of maintenance that "should" (different people will say that you don't need all this stuff done. I think it should have all been done at least once if not several times in your vehicle's life time) have been done. But especially if that stuff hasn't been done ever you should get it done. You listed the most important stuff though.

USERNAME

Postby USERNAME » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Thank you newpath!

I live in Los Angeles.

The timing belt/water pump/belts/seals were all done at dealer at 105K miles.

Brake/radiator fluids were done 17 months ago.

I do think I have to do the brakes, as the pedal feel is very soft. I searched on another pathfinder forum, and people said it is hard to do brakes on this car, and at least 3 hour job.

Just keeping a look out to see if there are items I should keep out for.

The front headlight lenses are yellowed, so I need to sort that out as well.

Also mine is a SE model, and in some places I read ALL SE are 4wd, but some I read 4wd was option on all models.

Anyone know if ALL SE were 4wd?

Thanks.

newpath

Postby newpath » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Brakes are time consuming on this car.
I don't know about the 4wd option. Out of curiosity, why do you need to know? I've never seen one without 4wd. I thought the only difference was the type of activator whether it's the manual shifting knob, or shift on the fly. But that varied with the model I believe. LE has the shift on the fly, and SE had the shifter. On some auto parts websites, there is an option to select 2wd, but that could be something of a generic option or "glitch" within the way they have their websites set up to look for parts.

USERNAME

Postby USERNAME » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

newpath wrote:Brakes are time consuming on this car.
I don't know about the 4wd option. Out of curiosity, why do you need to know? I've never seen one without 4wd. I thought the only difference was the type of activator whether it's the manual shifting knob, or shift on the fly. But that varied with the model I believe. LE has the shift on the fly, and SE had the shifter. On some auto parts websites, there is an option to select 2wd, but that could be something of a generic option or "glitch" within the way they have their websites set up to look for parts.
Oh I was just curious, trying to learn about the model, that is all :)

newpath

Postby newpath » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:43 pm

ok, fair enough. I was just making sure that you weren't confused on whether or not yours had 4wd or not. If so, then there would be a problem :P

USERNAME

Postby USERNAME » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:45 pm

newpath wrote:ok, fair enough. I was just making sure that you weren't confused on whether or not yours had 4wd or not. If so, then there would be a problem :P
Hehe, thanks, that isn't the issue.

So I am thinking of leaving the front bumper grille on and removing the rear tail light grille, thing it will look funny that way? Or should I remove ALL grilles?

The truck has NEVER been offroad in its life, what a shame.

newpath

Postby newpath » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:33 pm

nah. Lots of people only have the front ones.

USERNAME

Postby USERNAME » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Ok thanks. Will post pics this weekend.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”