My black Pathy- need help figuring out this issue

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

roki303

My black Pathy- need help figuring out this issue

Postby roki303 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:28 am

I love my 2001 Pathfinder (3.5L, 4x4, LE) but for some time now I’ve been trying to diagnose a problem. The car has 180K and runs great. It has been very well maintained since I’ve got it used with 16K miles on it.

For the last couple of months I’ve been trying to figure out what’s going on. Sometimes (usually after I stop at a gas station, store) it has hard time starting up. The engine turns slowly but it will not start – sounds kind of like it has a hiccup or is choking. Try again and it ALWAYS starts right up w/o any issues.

Was thinking it might be a battery so I replaced it (actually battery needed to be replaced). Then I pulled old starter and I’ve put a new one.
With the new starter with ONE turn of the key (hold the key in start position) the engine turns over slowly 2 times and it ALWAYS starts right up on the 3rd time. So it sounds like this (woooo, woooo, starts). Always the same pattern.

Before I swapped the starter it was behaving a little bit differently. I would turn the key into start position and I would get wooooooop (exactly once with short cutout at the end) and that's it, nothing else, quiet and I'm holding key in start position. Key to the off position, key to the start and it starts right up. NEVER had this problem 2x in a row.

I think it also tends to happen more often when it is HOT outside.

Besides that everything is fine. Engine runs smoothly and has plenty of power. Check engine light is not on. Takes about a quart of oil between oil changes (7K miles or so) but with 180K on the engine I would say that’s not bad. Spark plugs have been replaced at around 105K - 110K so they should be still OK. Changed fuel filter and tried cleaning up MAF with compressed air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really love the car and would like to keep it a little bit longer. This car has been INCREDIBLY reliable - except for worn suspension which I replaced and rusted heat shield never had any issues with it. Unfortunately, not sure what is going on and don’t want to be stuck somewhere.

Running out of ideas any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

basco

starting problems

Postby basco » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi Roki,

have you ever considered the ignition lock? Maybe it's worn and you need a new one. Before replacing you should try to short-circuit: if the motor starts without that "woooo, woooo" then the ignition lock has a defect and you can try to spray a little bit of graphite into the lock, maybe it will help, otherwise you need a new lock; if the problem persits - maybe a cable is broken?

In springtime 2009 I bought my '99 Pathy FWD with the 3.3 engine and 150 HP. I saw it by chance in the web; it was love at first glance and I bought the black beauty the very next day, although I had anything else in my mind but buying a second car. I never before had a car of that age and with that high milage (65 k) - anyway it is in a super condition, everything's working fine and I'm still fully satisfied and happy with it and I'll never give it away.

All the best and good luck,
Basco

basco

starting problems

Postby basco » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:58 am

addendum:
how about the ignition key? try it with the spare key.

roki303

Re: starting problems

Postby roki303 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:34 pm

basco wrote:addendum:
how about the ignition key? try it with the spare key.
Tried that. Actually I don't think this is ignition switch because it happened to me as well when I was using remote start.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”