Service Engine Soon.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

ryan.l.casey

Service Engine Soon.

Postby ryan.l.casey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Question for all you pathfinder peeps... i have an 03 pathfinder LE. I have been having the "service engine soon" light pop up. Dealership is telling me I need a new catalytic converter ( and OF COURSE its not covered by the "bumber to bumber" extended warranty i paid close to 2G's for it). I have spoken to an outside mech. that has said that changing the spark plugs could possibly relieve the issue as converters are supposed to outlive the vehicles (as long as a sawzall isnt taken to it that is). Anybody have any suggestions/idea's/ or experience with this situation.

dpassino

Postby dpassino » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:53 pm

have you tried scanning the computer first for the code? If so, what's the code? If not.. any autozone will scan it for free for you.

ryan.l.casey

Postby ryan.l.casey » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 am

the code is p0240 cat efficiency issue.

drewp29

Postby drewp29 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 am

Currently my 02 Pathy is throwing the P0430 code, which is the same code as yours, but driver's side bank. I had a friend do a heavy intake clean, replaced the spark plugs (they were SHOT, and a PITA to change), and code reset and the SES remained off for about 700 miles.

We also checked for intake/vacuum leaks and did not find any issues.

I do not have a sulfur smell and the truck drives totally fine. However, I do believe the catalytic converter is the culprit. It may not be in horrible condition, but I don't think it is working at max efficiency.

We are going to pull the O2 sensors and clean them up and see if that solves it, but I'm not holding my breath.

How many miles are on your Pathy, and have you ever changed the spark plugs? They really really really suck to change, but I would still do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined because a shop will most likely charge a boat load to do it.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”