02 Path w/ manual tran. Maybe its bad, maybe im crazy

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

brandonloken

02 Path w/ manual tran. Maybe its bad, maybe im crazy

Postby brandonloken » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:41 pm

Ok just bought an 02 with 88k with the manual transmission. It shifts great, but it makes a bit of noise, especially in third and fourth. Not a whine per say, kind of like noise Ive heard in trucks when in 4x4 but it happens in 2wd. Had a knowledgable friend drive it and he said it seems fine, perhaps the nature of the beast.

Anyone have any experience with the manual trans? Ive been searching but everything seems to reference the auto. I want to change the fluid, perhaps to synthetic. Also figured I should try a diff service. Could take it to the transmission shop but it seems like they always just say its toast. Is the manual do-able to drain and fill yourself? Thanks in advance for any help!!

drewp29

Postby drewp29 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Interesting, I just bought an '02 with manual transmission as well, only mine has 152k miles on it.

I also get a slightly odd noise particularly in 3rd and 4th gear when the RPMs are low. At higher RPMs the noise goes away. Sounds kind of like a large truck differential and transaxle in the same situation.

brandonloken

Postby brandonloken » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:34 pm

yeah mine is most noticeable at low rpms too, which is where i try to keep it. The mpg has been a bit of a sticker shock coming from an Integra lol

drewp29

Postby drewp29 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Lol, my other car is a Stanza so I totally understand. The Stanza needs some work right now, and I needed a SUV for the utility aspect, which gave me an excuse to buy the PF.

I estimate about 18-19 mpg in town, but that's without the pedal stomp that is so much fun with 250 horses on tap.

I plan on a CAI, NGK G-power plugs, new fluids all around, and perhaps eventually exhaust (depending on price) to try to eek out another 4-5mpg in town.

drewp29

Postby drewp29 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:34 pm

So I was under my 02 last weekend and I gave a good rap on the exhaust heat shielding and it made the same exact sound I hear at lower RPMs when I step on the gas. I tried to look at the mount locations to see if they were rusted out, but the ones I could see seemed fine. I think the thin (it's probably 16ga) shielding just has a tendency to resonate at certain vibration frequencies.

I'll have to put the truck up on the ramps and look at the mounts to see if perhaps one or two have issues and are allowing the shielding to flex more than it should.

But, I think your Pathy is just fine . . . mechanically speaking.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”