2002 Pathfinder advice needed

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

drewp29

2002 Pathfinder advice needed

Postby drewp29 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Hello everyone! I am a long time Nissan owner, first time Pathfinder owner, and I was looking for some advice.

I purchased a 2002 Pathfinder SE, manual tranny, 4WD, a few weeks ago and love it so far.

However, it's throwing a P0430 code error, which is most likely the bank 2 primary catalytic converter going bad. So I am going to replace the CAT. The car runs and drives totally fine otherwise, so I am not horribly worried about it.

First Question - Has anyone replaced a catalytic converter with an Evan Fischer brand OE CAT? What kind of quality are they? They seem to be the cheapest, but if the quality is not there I am willing to spend the extra money on one that is of good quality. Okay that was two questions . . .

Next Question - Does anyone know the fluid capacities for a manual transmission and front and rear differentials? The owners manual does not list the capacities, only the type of fluid required. I am most likely going to replace the transmission fluid with AMSOIL MTG 75W-90 GL-4. I was thinking AMSOIL SVG 75W-90 GL-5 for the differentials, but if there is a better option please let me know.

I am also going to put a K&N 57 CAI on, and while I'm replacing the intake, replace the spark plugs with NGK G-Power plugs.

After that I will do the brakes, fronts are getting thin.

Apologies for the super long post, and thanks for any help in advance.

Drew

drewp29

Postby drewp29 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Well, I answered a couple of my own questions . . .

Apparently I need to buy 6 quarts of GL-4 Manual Transmission fluid, and 5 quarts of GL-5 Gear Oil to cover both differentials.

The Repair Manual suggests 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil for the differentials, but the AMSOIL site says the Severe Gear 75W-90 will work as well or better than the standard 80W-90. Any thoughts on this?

drewp29

Postby drewp29 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Man it feels like I am the only one posting in my own thread . . . oh wait, I am!

So I successfully solved the P0430 code error. A buddy of mine ran some Valvoline Intake Cleaner through main vacuum line on the intake plenum and the sucker smoked for a good 15 minutes. It cleaned out the system fairly well I think, because he cleared the code and I have put 500+ miles on it since then without the SES light coming back on.

I changed the spark plugs, which may have been the cause of the code error because those SOBs were fried! I don't think they had ever been changed, and 152k is a bit much for a single set. I don't blame the previous owner though cause they were a huge PITA to change and probably cost a ton at a shop. Not to mention I sheared off a bolt that held one of the coilpacks on and had to drill and pull it. Luckily the easy-out worked like a charm or I'd have been hosed.

I put the K&N intake on and it appears to have helped the MPG. The last tank I averaged about 21.2 MPG around town, even with a few heavy foot sessions! Not bad - not great, but not bad.

drewp29

Postby drewp29 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 am

Well crap, the SES threw the P0430 code again . . . looks like I have to try a few other things, and if all else fails, replace the catalytic converter.

rdcyclist

Postby rdcyclist » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:22 am

Howdy Drew,

Looks like we're gonna be the only posters on this one...

I'm picking up a 2002 PF this afternoon and it's doing the same thing. I've got no idea about the condition of the plugs, O2 sensors, cats, etc. Normally when I get a car throwing this kind of faults, I do the same thing you're doing: Join a forum and ask the question. Then do the easy stuff: A tune up. Followed by the harder stuff: Sensors then cats.

Like yours, the vehicle runs fine. A check engine light is the only indication of trouble. The PF has 180k on it so pretty much all of the exhaust smog components are at the end of their useful life.

The problem I'm going to have is sourcing the cats: I live in California and have to get CA specific units (there is NO difference, this is just a way to gouge us for having the best weather in the world...). It is against the law for a vendor to ship a cat into California. There are two ways around this: Order one from Canada (I've done this for a previous car) or have a friend buy them and ship 'em here.

At any rate, I'll keep you posted on my success or failure and would appreciate it if you would do the same.

Have a ball!

Mark

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”