1996 xsmission/torque converter

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

zoltan

1996 xsmission/torque converter

Postby zoltan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:09 pm

i just developed a leak from the front seal of the tranny(torque converter?). leaks pretty good sometimes, sometimes not so much, and not with engine off. i got several estimates that ranged between $1700-3000. 3 shops told me that i wouldnt make it home(500 miles) because of probable bad t-converter, or worse. the 4th guy took it for a spin(with me riding along) and pointed out that all gears were engaging and electronics seemed in order. he said i had a chance of making it, so i nursed it home, checking fluid frequently. i added a quart of stop leak(noneffective) halfway.
so now i'm just researching my options. this truck has been a money pit so far and i don't really want to dump too much more into it. anyway to put a band aid on it for now? just have a new seal put in, and fix torque converter and whatever else later?
if there are any threads on this subject already, please let me know.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:07 am

Are you sure it is Trans fluid coming out and not engine oil....? because engine rear main seal have been known to be an issue on pathy....

If the leak is coming out from the small rectangle opening on the bellhousing, than make sure it is transmission oil before spending any money...

S.

zoltan

Postby zoltan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Definatley tranny fluid. Coming from "front seal" of the tranny.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:13 am

what year / engine ?

zoltan

Postby zoltan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Sorry bout that, it's a 96 4wd 6 cylinder. 3 liter I think.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm

well.....not good news I think... If you are sure it's trans oil, then the transmission needs to come off... no stop leak or any other can of stuff will stop this.... It could be a simple input shaft seal (worth 20$) but to get to it is the real money job...

If you have space and are a little good with your hands (nad have some tools), I would say try it ... but for this you need to have secondary vehicle...

anyway...good luck with your decision and let us know your choice or if you repair it, what it was...

S.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”