Starter needs to be hit to work, tips?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

99maroonpath

Starter needs to be hit to work, tips?

Postby 99maroonpath » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey guys,

This is for a friend, he owns a 99 pathfinder. I believe its the VG33E motor with automatic transmission.

The starter is underneath the transmission (you need to lie down to get to it) near the passenger front axle.

After it has been wacked, it has started up fine for the last day or two. I am wondering how to take the starter off/apart. I am a honda guy and have no knowledge with Nissans.

I am assuming it has two bolts, and a pos/neg terminal? Any tricks? Maybe getting at it from the passenger side wheel well?

Also, for toyotas/hondas, there are rebuild kits (contact kits) for about 20$ since 99% of the time, the cause of bad starters is old contacts, is there anywhere I can get one? I am in BC Canada so all the auto parts stores are either NAPA or Lordco

Thanks guys!

basemodel

Postby basemodel » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:38 pm

could be just the solenoid, not the starter itself.

zymol75

Postby zymol75 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 pm

if you hit it and it starts the starter windings are dead in a that spot. also if you put your hand on it (do it cold so you don't burn yourself) and have friend try to start the car. do you feel the click or just hear it? if you feel it the solenoid is engaging and the starter is bad or seized. only hearing it doesn't necessarily mean its bad as it could be voltage or bad cables etc.
my experience is it usually the starter.
Yes Toyota engineers are beautiful people. Nissan engineers are asses. so no, its a 600 dollar starter for you.!! lol.

bluepathy97

Postby bluepathy97 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:56 am

The starter is pretty easy to do. Remove the power cables and the two mounting bolts and with a little finesse it will come right out. I had to change mine out in a parking lot and it only took around 30 min.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”