AC Compressor doesn't work when it's super hot outside

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jonny817

AC Compressor doesn't work when it's super hot outside

Postby jonny817 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:22 pm

I have a '97 Pathy with an AC problem. Anybody had a problem like this?

Last spring I replace my compressor. Worked great. Except under this condition it would quit:
  • I had run it long enough to get warmed up.
    It was over 100 degrees outside.
    I turned it off to run into a store.
    When I came back, the compressor would not engage.
My thoughts are
  • The relay fails when it's reeeally hot out.
    or The compressor coil is bad.
    or, maybe there's a pressure switch problem.
My problem is that I didn't get around to fixing it when it was over 100 degrees outside. So, I can't just replace a relay to see if it's that simple. Looks like it would almost be easier to replace the whole compressor (still under waranty) than to change the clutch, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jonny

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm

I have had similar problems with the AC in my 97 pathfinder. horay for message boards that dont reply.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Try swapping the relay with another of the same type. If the problem doesn't reoccur, it is likely the relay. If it does reoccur, try tapping on the pressure switches and see if the AC kicks in; I've seen a couple low pressure switches fail on Pathfinders (and especially Quest vans). Also, when the problem reoccurs, you can check for power to the clutch with a test light. If you see power and the clutch doesn't engage, you likely have a bad or misadjusted clutch.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”