Spark plugs

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Kurt

Spark plugs

Postby Kurt » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:51 pm

I have a 2004 pathfinder. Im looking at replacing plugs. What type should I use? Gapping?

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 pm

You can use any type of plug you want (as in electrode material). a lot of serious gear heads like to use good ole copper plugs. You can use iridium or platinum plugs and they will come pre-gapped and should work just find and will last longer than copper plugs. go to your local auto parts store and give them one of your old plugs and they can get you replacements no problem.

I <3 replies.

ak23

Postby ak23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:53 pm

similar question:
i have a 99.5 pathfinder and was wondering what type of plugs would give the most return in terms of power and fuel efficiency.
cheers

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:49 pm

most die hards will tell you to use copper plugs. You set the gap on a copper plug so you can hand tune them how you want them but you better make sure to do your research and find the correct gap. I think copper plugs supposedly give a better more efficient burn of your fuel as well.

I like to play it safe and I use iridium plugs on most of my vehicles. they come pregapped and you can just slap them right in there and forget about it. they last for a really long time too. Its all personal preference in the end hope this helps...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Most auto technicians that specialize in Asian makes will tell you the best plug is the original equipment plug, which is almost always NGK or Denso. Many have found misfire issues with Bosch platinums used in Nissans and I once saw a hole burnt in the side of an old E16S Sentra engine piston where the owner used Champions. I worked for Nissan for 16 years and the only spark plug I use in any gas engine I own is NGK, be it a Nissan Pathfinder or my Husqvarna chain saw! For the original equipment plug and gap setting for any application, you can go to:

www.NGKSparkPlugs.com

Also, platinum and iridium spark plug gap should be checked and, if needed, adjusted prior to installing, but they should never be adjusted after they have been run.

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm

NGK makes copper platinum and iridium plugs

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”