PATH 96 R50 REAR SUSPENSION

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

ivanhcastillom

PATH 96 R50 REAR SUSPENSION

Postby ivanhcastillom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi, I just bought my 96' pathfinder and I have some questions about the rear suspension. First at all, I have the impression that the rear supension is extremely soft for a SUV, in fact, I buy the springs and shock absorbers brand new in a nissan dealer but the diference with the old ones was too little that I consider for some days send a complaint to the dealer, but first I want to research a bit before send any complaint; anyway, is in fact the rear suspension so softer? in such case, what can I do to fit a more resistant suspension to my pathfinder?, is just buy hardest shock absorbers or springs? Thanks... 8)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:24 pm

R50's have a lot of problems with the bushings failing in the upper and lower, rear suspension links. It causes the rear to sway all over the place when they get really bad. It's easier to replace the link assy's (if they are bad) than to try and replace bushings, as the bushings are pressed in and can be bit of a pain to get in and out. I usually use KYB G2's when choosing struts and shocks. They are designed to be a hair firmer than original equipment to compensate for suspension wear over time. KYB is also an original equipment supplier to Nissan. Of course, there are always other options, such as air bags or stiffer coils springs. In general, the R50's tend to be "softer" riding when compared to WD21 and R51 Pathy's partly due to it's unibody chassis, versus the body-on-frame chassis of other Pathy's.

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 pm

ya so basically you just wasted money buying new rear shocks because the actual problem is your upper and lower control arm bushings :p

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”