Recall on Strut rusting out back in 2011

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

millerwl71

Recall on Strut rusting out back in 2011

Postby millerwl71 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 am

My ex wife gave me our 96 path back because it wasin't running and also a mechanic told her it was unsafe to drive. After getting it running I drove it to my buddys house. It was a loud and grinding drive. I got there and started looking around, and there it was, all rusted out in drivers side wheel well. strut pushed in and rubbing on steering shaft. And top of strut pushed up against brake resivor. Now I seen something about a recall about the strut and rusting out, and the rubbing off the sterring coluum. I am in wisconsin, so I'm on that list. Does anybody know more about it? It just came out in 2011, so will they still fix it?
Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 15, 2012 12:05 pm

11V244000: Front Strut Housing Corrosion
Recall 11V244000: Front Strut Housing Corrosion

VEHICLE MAKE/MODEL: MODEL YEAR(S):

Infiniti/QX4 1997-2003

Nissan/Pathfinder 1996-2004

MANUFACTURER: Nissan North America, Inc.

MFR'S REPORT DATE: April 20, 2011

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER: 11V244000

NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: PE11004

COMPONENT: Steering: Column

POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 195,991
SUMMARY:
Nissan is recalling certain model year 1996-2004 Pathfinder and model year 1997-2003 Infiniti QX4 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington D.C., West Virginia and Wisconsin. In areas of the country in which heavy concentrations of road salt are used, a mixture of snow/water and salt may enter an assembly location hole in the upper strut housing, causing water to collect at the mating surface of the strut housing panel and the inner hood ledge assembly. Over time, this snow/water and salt intrusion may result in corrosion of the strut tower housing in some subject vehicles.

CONSEQUENCE:
The strut housing may crack and pull away from the inner hood ledge assembly. This may lead to grinding noises, increased steering effort, and possibly the steering column to break, resulting in the loss of steering control, which could result in a crash.

REMEDY:
Nissan will inspect the strut housing and repair the vehicles as necessary, free of charge. An interim notification letter to owners will be mailed on or before May 16, 2011. Owners may contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

ACFrog

Postby ACFrog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:15 pm

My experience with the recall was pretty good. May 15, 2012 I took my '99 to the dealer for an alignment. They called me back and told me about the recall. They did a pretty extensive repair (called Level 2) which included installing very beefy strut tower reinforcements, replacing the steering column upper joint, left front brake line, and master cylinder. Plus they did the alignment for free.

imho, they probably went totally overboard. I'm guessing that the dealer gets reimbursed pretty nicely for this work, so the more extensive the remediation, the more they make. I'm not sure if my Pathy was bad enough to warrant all of this work, but there's no doubt that it's safe now. Thanks Nissan.

Here's Nissan's 53-page Recall Campaign Bulletin. It has some great photos:
http://dc256.4shared.com/doc/EVLQulUL/preview.html

Norman_O

Postby Norman_O » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:21 am

Defective struts can lead to accident. Over the past few years, a number of auto makers have recalled minivans for rear door struts that fail. Several have been due to struts made by one company, Stabilus, which is being looked into by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

chrisduke

Postby chrisduke » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:19 pm

My mechanic noticed on the driver's side my strut tower is separating from the truck...

I did some searching and found this recall earlier tonight...

Going to dealer tomorrow morning...

I read in some other places that some owners didn't get the truck back because the dealer said the damage was too excessive...

I invested a good amount in the truck so far, so that would suck in a way...we'll see how it goes.

chrisduke

Postby chrisduke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 am

Here at Nissan. They said I'll have the truck back Mon or Tue. They will have a loaner for me on Monday morning.

chrisduke

Postby chrisduke » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 am

Nissan condemned the truck...said the hole was huge...

so right now I'm driving a new sentra they loaned me until things are settled...

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 pm

a week after i got my 02, i took it to the dealer and i think mine was a level 1 repair that they did and it was done in a day and i got to drive a brand new rogue for a day. they told me if it was too bad to fix that nissan would purchase the car back. no clue what they would use for a value tho..

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”