Question about timing belt tensioner

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

tinman

Question about timing belt tensioner

Postby tinman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:31 pm

I just got done with the timing belt/water pump/etc... 100K maintenance on my 96 Pathy. I have a question about the timing belt tensioner. It looks like the spring on the back of it is just used to do the initial tension, then it's held in place by the bolt that you put on it, which locks it in place. The pulley doesn't seem to be mobile or to increase or decrease in tension as the belt stretches. Am I missing something here?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 am

Nope. It's not a self-adjusting tensioner. Timing belts stretch very little and shouldn't develop enough slack to be a problem between recommended replacement intervals. There are some engines that do have a self adjusting tensioner, like the Z32 V6 or some Toyotas, but not all.

tinman

Postby tinman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:04 pm

smj999smj wrote:Nope. It's not a self-adjusting tensioner. Timing belts stretch very little and shouldn't develop enough slack to be a problem between recommended replacement intervals. There are some engines that do have a self adjusting tensioner, like the Z32 V6 or some Toyotas, but not all.
Ahhhh. That's what confused me. I've specifically worked on Toyota/Lexus engines and they have had self-adjusting tensioners. Thanks for explaining that.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”