1997 or 1998 Path?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

MT Kid

1997 or 1998 Path?

Postby MT Kid » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm looking at 2 Paths:

1997 SE 4X4, 132K. Per owner not a lot of rust, shifts ok, needs tires, upon start puffs a bit of smoke ... could it be imminent fuel regulator failure I heard common in model?

1998 SE Sport 4X4, 336K. Per owner well-maintained, new timing belt, oil chg, plugs/wires chg, garaged, needs tires [currently 40%].

What is 'life' expectancy [mileage] of well-maintained Path? :? Thx!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:55 am

There really is no answer to that question. It's like asking what's the average life expectancy of a person if they eat right and exercise? Even the healthiest person could drop dead of a heart attack at any time and someone who smokes, drinks and eats junk food could live to be 90 years old! The only thing we really know is that a vehicle that is well maintained stands a lot better chance than a vehicle that has been poorly maintained. As with any vehicle one purchases, if you are not a mechanic, have the vehicle thoroughly checked out by a reputable mechanic or shop of your choosing before putting down any money. I would be concerned about buying the 98 Pathy with 336K. miles on it; 300,000 miles is a heck of a lot of miles no matter how well it is maintained! I'd be equally concerned about the smoke on startup on the 97 model. I haven't replaced a lot of fuel pressure regulators on Pathfinders; most of the issues I've run into is with the vacuum hose going to the regulator falling off (usually after someone replaced the spark plugs or has had the intake plenum off for some reason). It could be the cause, but other causes include bad valve seals, a fuel injector (or injectors) leaking fuel or even worn piston rings. I'b be surprised if it were the latter, but you never know until you follow through with the diagnostic testing to isolate the cause. Also, check the bottom of the strut towers carefully for rust. Currently, there is a recall for the strut towers rotting out and possibly causing issues with the steering. Timing belt jobs can also be expensive if you can't do it yourself, so knowing when the last time it was replaced is important.

MT Kid

Re: 1997-1998 Paths

Postby MT Kid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks so much for very insightful response. Yes I'm sure there is no way to predict longevity of vehicle. As far as those 2, I know '98 had timing belt replaced Dec 2011, not sure re struts on either model. Saw info re strut recall in this forum! :D Guess I'll leave '97 alone as overall doesn't sound that great even if 132K. Last thing I want to buy is a paperweight for my driveway! Already have tenacious won't-miss-a-thing mechanic to run diagnostics and get it up on rack, then tell me like it is ... to flee or plunk down $$$. I love those sellers who tell you to "bring your mechanic along" ... yeah right. Re timing belts, know too well consequences of failure as one snapped 1K before scheduled change [go figure] on interference eng '88 Isuzu I-Mark, stranding me 3 hrs on hwy [no cell] requiring eng R&R, tho afterward ran past 400K til PA winter salts killed its body. Glad I found this forum with owners as yourself who share the good and bad. God bless.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”