check engine codes

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

wnadrag

check engine codes

Postby wnadrag » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am

Hey all, I'm trying to get my check engine light off. I started with six codes but am now down to two. I'm not sure where to start with them. I'm hoping someone can tell me it's something simple and common.
2001 pathfinder
P0303
number 3 cylinder misfire detected
probable cause:
1 ignition system fault
2 fuel system fault
3 vacuum leak affecting one cylinder
4 engine mechanical condition
P1320
ignition signal
probable cause:
1 open or short circuit condition
2 failed power transistor unit
3 failed ignition ballast resistor
4 cam position sensor failure
(this one comes up twice)
I took the coil pack out and it's sparking and I replaced the plugs about a year ago. Like I said I'm just hoping someone can say "oh yeah, this happens all the time to this truck, just replace this....."
Thanks alot

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:37 pm

A P1320 code along with a specific misfire code is almost always due to a bad ignition coil. Ignition coils are fairly common on VQ motors and fortunately you got the cylinder misfire code to help identify which one. A lot of times, the P1320 code only is set, making it a lot more difficult to find the incident coil. If you want to be sure, you can always erase the codes, swap the #3 coil with another (IIRC, coils #2 through #6 are all the same part #), and see if the misfire code jumps to the other cylinder.

wnadrag

Postby wnadrag » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:30 pm

That is a great and easy idea to try. I will tomorrow first thing, but don't coils either work or not? can they be intermitent? I was getting a code for number 6 and I replaced it. The car ran much better and the code went away. When I pulled the #6 coil and put a plug in it with the car running I didn't get a spark. When I did the same thing on this one it did spark. Either way that's a simple enough test Thank you. Details ahead

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 am

The coils can still give spark and still be bad. Sometimes the coils will fail when they get hot or fail under a load. It's usually the original Hanshin made coils that fail as opposed to the Mitsubishi made coils. Apparantly the circuit board isn't sealed very well in the original Hanshin coils and it tends to corrode and cause the coil to fail.

wnadrag

Postby wnadrag » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:17 am

Well I ruled out the coil. I replaced it with a new one and no change. Any Ideas what to try next?

IanH

Postby IanH » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 pm

wnadrag wrote:Well I ruled out the coil. I replaced it with a new one and no change. Any Ideas what to try next?
Reading through your list I suspect the cam sensor only because they give problems on the VQ35's.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”