Check Engine Light. Need Help Immediately - Trying to Sell.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

smharrell9

Check Engine Light. Need Help Immediately - Trying to Sell.

Postby smharrell9 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:52 am

I have 98 Pathfinder and I've had three mechanics try and determine why my check engine light is on. They all said it has to do with emissions but can't specify what's wrong. One mechanic thought it could be the fuel pump but wasn't 100 percent sure that could be the problem.

I am trying to sell the truck this week and need to get the light off.

Has anyone had similar issues or know why the light could be on?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:52 pm

did you try scanning it to see if there's any codes?

smharrell9

Postby smharrell9 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 pm

None of the mechanics could match the code and the issue. The closest thing I got to a definitive answer was the fuel filter but they weren't 100 percent sure. I just don't want to start paying for repairs if the engine light stays on.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:57 pm

You need to find out what the stored codes are before we can help you. Most parts stores retrieve OBDII codes for free with a code reader, or you can do the manual method to pull manufacturer codes. That procedure can be found at www.troublecodes.net/Nissan/"

smharrell9

Postby smharrell9 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 am

So it's the knock sensor that needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can buy a legit knock sensor. Advance Auto Parts wants $120.

I have a mechanic that can install.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Did you perform the diagnostic procedure per the FSM and confirmed the knock sensor is faulty or are you assuming the sensor is bad solely because there is a stored code for knock sensor? The knock sensor is located under the intake manifold, so replacing it is not easy and you'll want to be sure that it's actually the sensor itself that threw the code before reassembly. It's not a job you want to do twice! As far as sensors, you can find them running anywhere from $36 to over $200. The sensors are expensive because of the precious metals used in them. With this in mind, one has to wonder if the cheap, aftermarket sensors are made to the same standard as the original Nissan part? If the sensor was in an easy spot to get to, I might take a chance on a low cost part, but with the labor involved to get to it, personally, I would stick with genuine Nissan. The MSRP for a genuine Nissan knock sensor is $209.17, but you can get it for $150.60+shipping from 1stAAANissanParts.com

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”