Weird Problem

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

01PathLE

Weird Problem

Postby 01PathLE » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 am

I have a 2001 LE. I drove it from Atlanta to Savannah on Sunday. No problems at all. Monday morning the battery was COMPLETELY dead. Nothing was left on. Charged the battery and drove it some yesterday and everything seemed fine. It started up fine this morning. Any idea what might have caused this?

wnadrag

Postby wnadrag » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Is it possible your battery terminal is loose?

IanH

Re: Weird Problem

Postby IanH » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:16 pm

01PathLE wrote:I have a 2001 LE. I drove it from Atlanta to Savannah on Sunday. No problems at all. Monday morning the battery was COMPLETELY dead. Nothing was left on. Charged the battery and drove it some yesterday and everything seemed fine. It started up fine this morning. Any idea what might have caused this?
Well believe it or not this happened to me years ago.

But first check your battery, measure battery voltage engine off first, then with with headlights on. Post results. I suspect a bad cell.

So what happened to me was a long trip, finished at night in the rain. Lights and wipers on..battery was flat, lights went down when car idled before shuting it off.
I put a charger on the battery (and this kept diodes hot) and I found the leakage after looking for a short, I unplugged the alternator and the AC clutch disengaged !!! with the ignition turned off !!! Found ignition circuit had voltage through the diodes when off. The alternator diodes went short under high temperature and load, and recovered when cold.

Now this may not be your problem, but it food for thought.

This will probably happen again on a similar long trip / load.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:01 pm

I would definately have the charging system checked and a parasytic draw test performed.

01PathLE

Postby 01PathLE » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:51 am

OK, here are some more things it started doing. The left turn signal blinks slowly or not at all when pressing the brake pedal. It works fine when off the brake. And the right turn signal is not affected. ABS light turns on and off, wipers only wipe at a high speed on any setting and it shifts in and out of overdrive without pressing the button....

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:28 am

A stuck relay can cause a battery to go dead. Perhaps your turn signal relay is not functioning properly.

IanH

Postby IanH » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:56 pm

01PathLE wrote:OK, here are some more things it started doing. The left turn signal blinks slowly or not at all when pressing the brake pedal. It works fine when off the brake. ...
have you looked at the left turn signal front and back with the brake depressed ?

The lamp that goes out or dims may have a bad ground.

01PathLE

Postby 01PathLE » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 am

OK, the dying problem was a bad battery. I put a nice new one in it, but I'm still having the issue with my turn signal. Like I said before, it blinks fine until I hit the brake pedal. Then it blinks fast. I noticed when the turn signal is blinking normally (not on brakes) one of the filaments in the brake light bulb glows. Also, when I'm pressing the brake and its blinking fast, I hear a buzzing noise for every time it lights up. I've traced this buzzing noise and its coming from somewhere around the transmission. What could this be?!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 am

Sounds like you have a shorted tail lamp bulb..

01PathLE

Postby 01PathLE » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:12 pm

What's the easiest way to fix this?

IanH

Postby IanH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:14 pm

01PathLE wrote:OK, the dying problem was a bad battery. I put a nice new one in it, but I'm still having the issue with my turn signal. Like I said before, it blinks fine until I hit the brake pedal. Then it blinks fast. I noticed when the turn signal is blinking normally (not on brakes) one of the filaments in the brake light bulb glows. Also, when I'm pressing the brake and its blinking fast, I hear a buzzing noise for every time it lights up. I've traced this buzzing noise and its coming from somewhere around the transmission. What could this be?!
Could also be the wrong bulb in that location. And a bad ground.

Try replacing the bulb with the correct number, don't just get a copy of one thats in there.

when you have it open try using a wire to ground the socket.

01PathLE

Postby 01PathLE » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:26 am

I replaced all the bulbs in the back. Brake, reverse, turn signal and tag bulbs are all new and are the numbers they are supposed to be.

IanH

Postby IanH » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Try swapping that bulb with one on the other side, I have had this problem caused by wrong bulb

and a bad ground on an old Audi ( no surprise there !!)

01PathLE

Postby 01PathLE » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:17 am

Still having this turn signal problem. I saw my wife back it out of the garage and with brake pressed and put into reverse the front drivers side turn signal lights up. Also, when running cruise on highway, if I signal left to get into the left lane, the transmission shifts oddly.....also all the lights at the bottom of the dash will come on and go off (ABS, Battery ETC). This is starting to scare me.

01PathLE

Postby 01PathLE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 am

Nobody?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”