No horn Chirp when locking doors

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Dementius88

No horn Chirp when locking doors

Postby Dementius88 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 am

1996 pathy

Love my Pattycakes. One annoying thing. I cannot get her horn to chirp when locking or unlocking using the FOB. I have tried the 'lock and unlock' buttons on both FOB's. Horn does work. Panic button works. Alarm does sound. Lights (only turn signals) do flash and doors seem to lock and unlock. I have searched the forum for an answer but cannot seem to find one. I even swapped the alarm horn and alarm signal light relay's under the hood (driver's side against fender). This is bugging me. Any ideas?

NoelAPM

Postby NoelAPM » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 pm

just gonna throw this out there...

Do you realize that holding the lock and unlock buttons on the fob for 3-5 seconds it switches between horn sounding or lights flashing?

Dementius88

Postby Dementius88 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 am

Noel,

Thank you for replying. Yes I have tried to hold the buttons. I tried on 2 remotes for a long time. The horn chirp does not come on and the hazards do not flash. I have tried holding the buttons for well past the 2-5 second mark still with no results.

I have found a service manual and it seems to indicate there are 3 horns. 1 high, 1 low, and one for anti theft. I will be checking in to this later today.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:47 pm

The fact that the hazards won't flash tells us it's more than just a horn issue. It could be a faulty Smart Entrance Control Unit.

Dementius88

Postby Dementius88 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:01 am

SMJ, Thank you for replying!

The hazards flash when I lock the truck from either FOB and the locks do lock. The hazards do not flash when I hold down the "lock & unlock" for 5 seconds or (much) longer. Do you still think the SECU could be the issue? Is there a way to verify the SECU would be the problem? The alarm does work. Thank you again and any suggestions or questions are always welcome.

Rizzo226

Postby Rizzo226 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:24 pm

this happened to me when i tried locking the doors on my 03 finder. I realized the turn signals did not flash when i hit lock nor did the horn chirp. Then I realized a door was open and after i closed it everything worked fine. Check if you have a door open or maybe your tailgate is open.

Dementius88

Postby Dementius88 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:55 am

Rizzo, thank you for your message.

I thought about that as well. The way i believe one could check to see if all doors are closing would be the interior light. This is what i am basing the notion that the doors are all closed. i can test that theory later today. I have manually pressed the button on the hood but to be honest that does not mean the switch is closing or opening as it should. I will put an ohm meter to it today as well. I hope this is it as i am leaning towards a bad SECU.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”