Can I check engine code without taking it somewhere?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

SourCreamWater

Can I check engine code without taking it somewhere?

Postby SourCreamWater » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey everyone. So I just bought a 2002 Pathfinder 2 days ago and of course my check engine light comes on.

In my Jeep, I can turn the key three times without engaging the starter and the digital code will pop up. Then I check the internet.

Is there some little hack like this on the 2002 Pathfinder?

Oh, I got a 02 SE 4x4 with $80,000 miles and clean as can be. Suuuuuch a comfortable ride compared to the Jeep.

If anyone can help, I thank you!

Rizzo226

Postby Rizzo226 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:41 pm

im not sure if pathfinders are equipped with flash codes i know the service engine soon light will flash if your trying to certain re learn procedues but you can just bring your finder to an autozone or advanced auto parts theyll read the code for free

IanH

Postby IanH » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:04 am

you can take to auto parts house and they read for free. autozone etc.
or buy a code reader, they have come down in price, check amazon etc. any OBDII reader will give basic info.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:26 pm

I bought a basic code reader a couple of years ago from Walmart for $65. It reads only engine codes and erases them, but it comes in handy as it's quick and fits neatly in the glove box. It's already paid for itself in convenience as I do mechanical work on the side and often retrieve codes for friends or people at my primary job that have their CEL come on. Anything more than that I can use one of the two scantools at my side job which include an old OTC Genysis and a newer X431 Tool.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”