2001 3.5L Pathfinder CEL code P0505..ISCV/TPS/PCM/ECM?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

zpmada

2001 3.5L Pathfinder CEL code P0505..ISCV/TPS/PCM/ECM?

Postby zpmada » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I recently had an independent mechanic clean the battery terminals after fixing a P1320 code. He said take it to a Nissan dealer to fix the P0505 code. The Nissan dealer charged me $120 to "diagnose" my car, but they didn't look into the P0505 code like I had asked. They just said I need fluid changes, a ball joint and cv boot, repack bearings, brake fluid change, pads, and this will cost $2000. They said for P0505 diagnostic I will have to leave the car 4 hours. They said it is possible the previous mechanic did not disconnect the batter in the right sequence which shorted the computer. Is that even possible? I did not have the P0505 before taking it to the first mechanic. Just the P1320 and an O2 sensor code. The next day I get a call asking me if I want to trade in my car for a new one... crooks.

It is possible the previous mechanic did not disconnect the battery cables in the right sequence and fried the PCM/ECM/ECU?? Since the dealer was no help, I bought a chilton manual. I checked the resistance on all terminals for the ISCV and I had ~24-~25ohms. The connector going to the ISCV had power so that seems ok.

Next I checked the connectors going to the TPS. The orange one was ~5v (fine according to the chilton manual), but the second gray connector didn't show any voltage reading. Where does the power for this gray connector come from? If I don't have power going to the gray connector on the TPS, will that trigger a P0505? Can I open the ECU up and re-solder the TPS circuit myself? Is there a reputable pathfinder ECU rebuilder? Some guy on ebay is charging $200 to take my ECU, rebuild it and mail it back. Is there a guy with a reputation out there if indeed this is my problem?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 am

Anything's possible, but I don't think that a bad ECM is your problem. I think what happened is that when the battery terminals were disconnected for cleaning, the idle air volume memory was erased. This is not an uncommon issue on late model cars and auto mechanics/technicians, or anyone that disconnects a battery on a late model vehicle, need to be aware of. Furthermore, Nissan released a technical service bulletin for P0505 DTC's on 01 Pathfinders/00 Sentras/00 Maximas. Refer Nissan TSB# NTB00-041. My suggestion would be to have the idle air volume relearned before assuming the ECM is bad. Also, IMO, if this is indeed the problem, the mechanic that removed the cables should be held responsible for fixing it. Here's a link to the TSB download in .pdf format:

http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=3168 ... bfe84b0fe7

zpmada

Postby zpmada » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 am

That link looks like I need a special tool or computer.

Won't this work?
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/FixUr ... onsult.jpg

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”