Bleeding rear brakes

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

tinman

Bleeding rear brakes

Postby tinman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm

I have a 1996 Pathy SE. Brakes are soft so I went to bleed them, figuring that would be a good place to start, starting in the rear. I loosened the bleeder screw in the rear left, had a friend push the brake pedal when much to my amazement... nothing happened. The pedal was firm, nothing coming out the screw. Same with the right rear. The fronts both bleed fine, nothing out of the ordinary, but the rears don't produce any fluid. Is there some trick to this that I'm unaware of? I looked for any bleeding connector on the brake lines running to the back, I didn't find anything. Anyone have experience with this? :?: :?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:00 pm

SOmetimes the bleeders with rust up and fluid will not pass through them. Try taking out one of the bleeders and see if you can spray brake cleaner through it. If not, a small drill bit can be used to clean them out. Just spin the bit with your fingers. If they are real bad, you can get new bleeders from the parts store. If it's not the bleeder, you'll have to inspect the rear brake line to make sure it didn't get bent or kinked somewhere and they check the proportioning valve.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:04 am

If it's a 4x4 your supposed to start with the LSV bleeder before the rear brakes. I haven't done this yet bu plan on doing it soon.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”