AirLift 1000 on a 2001-R50?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

julianwong

AirLift 1000 on a 2001-R50?

Postby julianwong » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 am

Has anyone done a Airlift 1000 install on a 2001 Path (R50 body style)?

If you have, does it involve removing the springs and drilling a hole for the piping or can the hole for the bump stops be used?

Thanks!

aig

Yes I have

Postby aig » Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 am

Hello. My first post. I have an R50 2004 SE. My wife has a 2002 R50 SE.
Mine was armored last year. That added about 600 - 700 pounds to its weight. Changed suspension (OME), manual hubs to help with the added fuel consumption . In the front heavy duty coils were available. For the back, just medium coils were available. After just 2 months, they begann sagging . When loaded with 5 passengers ( 2 adults, 3 children) + 4 bicycles on a rack, etc it would sag heavy. Almost no clearance, between the rear tyre and the fender cavity.

After a bit of searching on the internet , I read about the Airlift 1000.

Since here labour is not very expensive, I had a mechanic install it. First time he did not drill the holes and the left side was loosing air. He reinstalled and drilled the holes ( or made them bigger as the instruction manual said) . Air was beeing lost too, on that side the second time. There was a problem with the line and the zip tie. We changed line and zip tie , replacig it with a sturdier one. ( Just a bit sturdier in order not to make the hole a lot bigger) . Installed one air valve per side. Worked fine. After 2 weeks we had to do the same procedure, on the other side. (learning curve) . I have had them for about 4 to 5 months now. Excellent purchase. Perhaps I will install them on my wifes car too, since it sags a bit when fully loaded ( our children are growing up and getting bigger, month after month).

So in essence:
- drill the holes.
- change the tubing that comes, with a sturdier one. Inexpensive, but having to go through the same process again is a waste of resources. Do it right the first time. Just a bit sturdier, you dont want to add too much to the tubing diameter ( and thus, to the hole to be drilled) .
- Make sure the zip ties are ok. We used sturdier zip ties.
- An air valve per side has worked fine for me.

I normally ride with 20 psi on the bladders ( 1000 extra weight pounds - 35 psi max so 600 extra weight pound - solve for X ) . That is when it is just me. When fully loaded I go to around 34 psi. It rides nasty with 1 person and 34 pounds. Even dangerous on curves . In my car´s case, rides fine with 20 psi. You will have to find out. And test it at low speeds, and be carefull while you get used to it. Remember ( for personal safety) to readjust the air pressure after weight changes. If you ride with too much air for the weight, you will panic a bit on curves.

I check or adjust air about once per month. Check for air leaks the first month. If properly installed, you won´t loose air pressure.

In the event a bladder blows, they sell one bladder replacements at aroud 55 % of the initial cost.

Great buy!! Have fun .
:wink: :wink:

julianwong

Airlift 1000 installed

Postby julianwong » Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 am

AIG,
Thanks for the detailed writeup. Shortly after starting the thread and not receiving any responses, I decided to take the plunge and install it anyway.

I did drill out the bumper pad to the recommended 3/4" when I installed it and used the original air lines. I plumbed it with one valve for the 2 bladders. I didn't have any problems with the installation and didn't have any leaks though.

The caveat is that I am running the airbags at 12psi or so. I don't usually load up the car that much regularly. I recently took a 800 mile road trip with about 500 lbs added weight (passengers and luggage) and ran the airbags at 12 psi. Didn't have any problems. Rode beautifully and did not observe significant sagging.

Well worth the investment to upgrade the ride and handling. Couldn't be happier with a sub $100 upgrade.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Can you anyone confirm these are for use with a leaf-spring? My brother just bought a 2000 Infiniti QX4 as a ranch truck. (R50), and I was going to add Airlifts to it on my next trip. The picture on the Airlift site looks like a coil spring model, even though it's listed for a 2000 Infiniti/Path?

I was pretty sure the 2000 did not have rear coil springs?

http://www.airliftcompany.com/vehicles/ ... /qx4/2000/

julianwong

Postby julianwong » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:05 am

BigEz wrote:
I was pretty sure the 2000 did not have rear coil springs?

/
You are mistaken. It has coil springs and shocks in the rear. No leaf springs.

HTH

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:31 am

Thank you!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”