1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder Ignition Lock Assembly. PLEASE HEL

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

will345678

1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder Ignition Lock Assembly. PLEASE HEL

Postby will345678 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:55 am

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help with my problem. I have also try to search past threads and was unable to find an exact answer.

I have a 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder LE Automatic. I need to replace the ignition lock assembly. Here is the problem though. The orignal keys have some type of blue chip inserted in them.
When i called Nissan to get a replacement part number and even gave them my VIN# and they gave me Part #D8700GT388. I have try searching the net for aftermarket parts and RockAuto has the part, except the ignition lock assembly they sell comes with
two new keys but the keys don't have any kind of chip atttached to it. Will this still work even though my original keys have chip that is programmed?

What i am trying to ask is, is the program for the original keys set somewhere in the car or in the acutual ignition lock assembly. By removing the old igntion lock assembly and replacing with new one that has its own set of keys
but no chip, will this work still?

There are a couple of online suppliers that supply an OEM ignition lock assembly, but the price difference is huge and they don't ship to Canada and i would have to get my car towed to dealership, thats why i would like to know if i can get away
with using an aftermarket ignition lock assembly that has no chip in the keys even though my orignal keys had a chip. If anybody has any information or experience with this kind of problem, please feel free share.
Much would be appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 pm

The memory is in the ECM. What you can do is take the new ignition lock to a locksmith and have them code the new ignition lock to your original keys.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”