whats the best choice of oil???

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

bluesman21

whats the best choice of oil???

Postby bluesman21 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm

I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE with a 3.5 and 165,000 miles. I bought the vehicle used a year ago. I have been changing the oil with conventional 10w30. Its time to change the oil again and I have a 1500 mile trip this week for Thanksgiving with family coming up. There is a sale on 5w30 Max Life with a bosch oil filter. Is this synthetic blend and filter the best choice over conventional oil??? Does regular maintenance include possibly using a fuel additive like Lucas??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:17 am

The Bosch filter is actually made by Purolater and comparable to the Purolator Pure One. It's a good filter; it's my second choice for filters after the genuine Nissan part. A little dated, but here's a good page on oil filter construction:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

5W30 is recommended by Nissan for most climates and most of their engines that are not turbocharged. People have been debating types of oil and brands for decades and it's really a matter of personal choice, driving environment and service maintenance intervals. For most, replacing oil at the manufacturer's recommended maintenance intervals and using API certified, conventional oil is fine, unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer. Those who service their vehicle at extended intervals or drive under extreme conditions (dusty environments, towing, etc.) would likely benefit from a synthetic-blend or full-synthetic oil. If you simply want the best, full-synthetic is the way to go, but benefit per cost may not be the most practical. As far as best brand, that is also up for debate. Brands like AMSOIL, Mobil 1, Castrol and Valvoline, to name a few, are all popular. Differances in brands are often in the additive packages. Personally, I use Walmart's house brand full-synthetic, Syntech, which is made by Royal-Shell, the maker's of Rotella. It usually runs between $17 and $23 for a 5-quart jug, dollars less than the "big name" brand synthetics. If money was no object, I might use AMSOIL or Mobil 1. As I said, it's a matter of preferance.

bluesman21

Lucas Fuel Treatment

Postby bluesman21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 am

Thanks a lot for the info...money is always my practical concern, but I also need the most life out of my vehicle. The 2001 LE I bought last year is the nicest thing I ever had on my Commercial Carpenter wages. Its fully loaded and very clean, rides like your on air and launches if you need it to. Glad to be here on this forum with help. What about lucas fuel treatment?

Gdubyacobb

Postby Gdubyacobb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:19 am

I run Castrol High-Mileage in our '97. 310K and it still burns no oil.
(I also run it in my '79 CJ)
I am not big on additives, but have run SeaFoam in the crankcase from time to time.

IanH

Postby IanH » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:06 pm

I didn't believe Max-life was a Syn blend ?

Anyway I also use Walmart full synthetic with pureone filters.
I usually pay less than $20 for 5 qts.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:43 pm

The Maxlife ATF has a synthetic base. I'm not sure about the Maxlife engine oil.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”